Walsall Council are once again pleased to be exclusively partnering with Robertson Bell on a recruitment campaign for a Lead Accountant on a permanent basis. Walsall Council is transforming and with it, so is Walsall’s Financial Services, hence the addition of this brand-new role to our structure.
Reporting into a Finance Manager, this post will lead a wider team of nine across areas of technical accounting such as financial reporting, government returns, audit and VAT, alongside treasury management activities, all in support of our Service Managers and Directors.
Walsall is situated within the West Midlands and is one of four Local Authorities comprising the Black Country. It contains six urban district centres: Walsall Town Centre lies at the heart of the Borough, surrounded by Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Darlaston and Willenhall. The Borough covers 40sq miles and is bisected by the M6 motorway.
In addition, we provide an attractive employment package that includes a generous annual leave entitlement of up to 29 days (which rises to 34 days after 5 years continuous local government service), a flexible working scheme that allows up to a further 12 days leave per year, working from home opportunities (minimum of 1 day per week required on site) with emphasis on an optimum work life balance arrangement and a career average pension scheme. We are committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements.
The key duties of the role are as follows:
- Co-ordinate the preparation of the financial statements and close down of all accounts at year end.
- Be the key day-to-day contact for the external auditors and actively contribute to Audit Committee meetings.
- Ensure the accurate projection of cashflow and have a hands-on role in the management of the Council’s investments.
- Co-ordinate the production of VAT and other financial returns, ensuring submissions are made in a timely manner.
- Manage the annual accounts production, reporting and due diligence for all trusts and charities belonging to the Borough.
- Drive forward efficiencies by continuously adapting, designing, monitoring and reviewing working practices, procedures and systems.
- Actively contribute to discussions around borrowing options for the Council’s new capital programme.
- Identify any skills gaps within the current team structure, providing opportunities for skills development and diversification as applicable.
The successful candidate will have:
- Full membership of CIMA, CCAB or equivalent, with significant post-qualification experience.
- Ability to demonstrate high technical proficiency in statutory accounting and audit management.
- Experience of providing accountancy and services within a large organisation.
- Proven ability in managing and organising staff.
- Ability to take ownership and ensure goals are successfully achieved within tight deadlines.
- Experience of treasury management, or the desire to learn.
- Ideally, a background working in the public sector but this is by no means essential.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 25th February, with first stage interviews due to take place the week commencing 4th March. Applications will be under continuous review before the closing date, so please submit your CV to our exclusive search agent Robertson Bell ASAP to avoid disappointment.