Coventry City Council is seeking to appoint its own in-house ecologist to support its wider planning services. The post holder will be responsible for providing specialist and professional advice on ecological issues by:
• carrying out related surveys;
• preparing expert reports to support decision making and plan preparation;
• supporting development and implementation of nature conservation management plans and projects;
• liaising with various Statutory bodies, non-government organisations and other relevant bodies over positive initiatives to enhance nature conservation sites and landscapes; and
• helping to deliver the Council’s Statutory Duties in relation to planning and the environment.
The role will be part time for 18.5hours per week with the weekly shift pattern being flexible to suit the successful applicant.
You should be an effective and motivated individual, comfortable working with partners, external agencies and with Elected Members. The successful applicant will ideally:
• Be qualified to at least degree level;
• Have proven experience at managing ecological projects;
• Be an affiliated member of a relevant professional institution;
• Be commercially-aware with good all round knowledge of ecology;
• Be comfortable working independently on own initiative as well as part of a team to achieve shared objectives;
• Have experience of protected species mitigation schemes and the planning process;
The successful candidate will work on a part time basis as part of the Council’s Planning and Housing Policy team, alongside other specialist disciplines including conservation, archaeology, design and tree protection.
We are a multi-skilled service who are fully committed to working together to plan a positive future for our great city. As part of this team you will also support the delivery of the city’s emerging Local Plan and provide expert support and sound technical input to the countries No1 planning authority for determining its applications in time, a place held since 2010.
The city’s emerging Local Plan looks to balance the city’s growth needs and aspirations with the management of its natural environment. Indeed, the Plan is committed to protecting and enhancing the cities most sensitive and highest quality green spaces, improving access to green infrastructure and enhancing the city’s ecology and biodiversity assets.
So if you want to be part of this high performing team during this exciting period look no further this role might be just what you’re looking for.
If you aren’t sure or have some questions we’d be happy to talk to you, call Mark Andrews on 02476 834295 for an informal conversation.
In return, we can offer you flexible working arrangements that will enhance your work-life balance. These include working from home (subject to project/service area requirements), flexible working hours, generous holiday allowance (starting at 35 days including bank holidays (pro-rata for part time roles)) and a flexitime scheme. In addition, we offer a range of staff benefits such as membership of the Local Government contributory pension scheme, childcare vouchers, 'MyCar' scheme, interest-free loans on annual travel cards, discounts at a number of city centre restaurants, shops and other establishments.
Tuesday 5th September 2017
Coventry City Council is clear about its responsibilities in embracing diversity and ensuring we recruit people of a high calibre on the basis of their skills, abilities, and experience. As such we welcome applications from a diverse range of candidates.
This Authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please note we will communicate any interview arrangements with you via email, so please check your email and WMJobs account on a regular basis after submitting your application.
This vacancy and advert will be closed as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible.
Job Description and Person Specification.pdf