Senior Lead Officer - Health & Safety
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to take the lead in shaping the future health and safety function that supports Sandwell and its partner organisations.
This role involves managing a dedicated team who offer support and guidance in regards to health and safety matters to all areas of Sandwell Council. In addition, the opportunity to expand service provision to external organisations also exists.
So, if you currently hold a NEBOSH Diploma qualification or equivalent, you have experience of working in a local authority or large multi-site organisation and you would welcome the challenge and opportunity to shape and lead your own health and safety function, we would like to hear from you.
What will you do?
The main duties will include:
- Maintaining the council’s health and safety management system and producing policies and procedures as required
- Supporting senior managers and all personnel on aspects of health and safety and wellbeing in accordance with legislation, codes of practice, safe methods of work and accepted good practice
- Provision of health and safety services to external organisations on a commercial basis
- Working with management and trade unions to ensure that there are appropriate mechanisms in place to consult with employees
- Delivering health and safety training as required
- Providing an innovative and ‘hands on approach’ to improving health and safety systems and procedures
- Supporting events that take place, to ensure that the highest health and safety standards are maintained
- Maintaining existing health and safety systems
- Recording, reporting and investigating accidents and ensuring that RIDDOR reports are completed
- Carrying out audits, inspections and health and safety monitoring
- Undertaking project work as required to improve and enhance the safety culture of the organisation
What's on offer?
Generous holiday entitlement, access to an award winning employee benefits scheme (including discounts on gym membership, holidays and high street shops, plus a free counselling service), the opportunity to join the Local Government Pension Scheme and genuine support of your wellbeing and work/life balance.
37 hours per week
This vacancy and advert will be closed as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible.Supporting documents
Information for Applicants