Executive Assistant to the Leader
Governance & Legal
Executive Assistant to the Leader
£25,951 - £27,668 per annum
37 hours per week
This brand new role offers an exciting opportunity for an experienced personal assistant or equivalent to be part of our Cabinet Office. We are looking for an individual who has experience of working at a high level in an organisation who is looking for a new challenge.
We are seeking a, proactive, forward thinking person to provide essential senior administrative support to the Leader of the Council to ensure that he focuses on his strategic responsibilities in the most efficient and effective way.
At the heart of the Council, the Cabinet Office is a vibrant and diverse place to work, offering an interesting and varied workload which will expose you to decision making by the most senior officials in the Council.
The role is a challenging and wide-ranging post and your main opportunities and challenges will be:
- Acting as the gatekeeper or primary point of contact for the Leader
- Provision of first class administrative and logistical support – travel, diary, meetings, presentations, records management and correspondence
- Close and effective working with the Leader to keep him well informed of key issues, upcoming commitments and responsibilities, ensuring the smooth and efficient flow of information and briefs.
- Researching, prioritising, and following up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the Leader, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature, determining appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Building and maintaining effective relationships on behalf of the Leader with senior officials and stakeholders from inside and outside the Council
What we require of the successful candidate:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Exceptional organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise multiple tasks, frequently changing and competing deadlines
- A keen eye for detail and the initiative to work autonomously and proactively
- Proven track record of providing Personal Assistant support to at least a third tier manager or above in a busy environment including meeting preparation and follow up, diary/email management and arranging travel.
- Communication skills – both verbal and written, with the ability to write clearly, in a style suited to purpose and audience
- An engaging and positive approach, with evidence of building relationships with individuals at all levels (particularly senior managers), both internally and externally
- Ability to exercise good judgement in a variety of situations requiring a politically sensitive and confidential approach.
- A flexible approach to accommodate the occasional requirement to work outside normal office hours
Telford & Wrekin Council is combining resources with our residents, partners and local organisations to deliver the best we can for our area.
We serve a population of 170,000 people and our population is younger than the national average. Our borough is predicted to grow in the next 13 years adding nearly another 30,000 people. We are investing in growth in the borough and this presents an opportunity to attract new businesses – Our Southwater Development reflects some of our aspirations and regeneration.
We deliver a diverse range of services to all our communities and we are constantly aiming to improve the quality of these. To do this we want to recruit enthusiastic individuals who are determined to succeed in their careers, to help us to achieve and maintain our goals and high standards.
- Training and development
- Flexible working
- Generous annual leave entitlement
- Local Government Pension Scheme
The selection of the successful candidate will be a two stage process consisting of a group exercise and a presentation and second stage panel interview.
If you would like to understand more about this post then please view the Job Description and Person Specification.
For an informal conversation about the post, please contact Deborah Moseley, Democratic & Scrutiny Services Team Leader on 01952 383215
We are committed to equality and diversity. Posts working with children or vulnerable groups will be subject to an appropriate criminal records check.Supporting documents
Job Description and Person Specification