Teacher of English (NQTS welcomed)
Greenwood Academy is a vibrant, successful 11-18 Academy situated in the heart of Castle Vale. We currently have 840 pupils on roll and are growing every year. We are heavily oversubscribed in Years 7 and 8 and, having moved into our new build, we have world class facilities and a student body who are keen to learn.
We are looking for an individual to drive up standards, a positive approach and have sky high expectations of what students can achieve. In return you will get to work in an innovative and highly supportive Academy.
We are looking for a Teacher of English who:
- Is passionate about teaching and has a creative and flexible approach for all key stages.
- Will model best practice teaching and learning across the department and support the development of quality teaching in the department.
- Will support, challenge and engage a diverse cohort of students, enriching their learning experience, maximising their potential and raising attainment.
- Will play a key role in leading aspects of faculty CPD.
The Greenwood Academy English Department believes in a knowledge rich curriculum in which, our students are exposed to the greatest literature texts possible. Our KS3 curriculum includes the study of Dickens, Shakespeare, Owen and Sassoon, and ensures all our students know the most sophisticated vocabulary and concepts possible and are prepared for the rigours of KS4. We do not believe in group work, discovery based learning or onerous differentiation tasks. We believe in didactic teaching and drill teach: quotations, terminology and definitions, so that our students can recite them by rote.
The post holder will have the opportunity to work in a successful and dynamic team that delivers excellent English provision through rigorous and challenging lessons. Raising the bar for all students regardless of their ability is a priority in English. Students are highly motivated and are eager to achieve thanks to a committed and knowledgeable group of practitioners, that display a passion for literature and ensuring all of our students achieve the best possible grades.
What we offer:
- A regular and bespoke CPD programme as soon as you are appointed.
- We do not grade observations, we believe that trusting our teachers with autonomy to improve creates a strong, vibrant staff culture.
- A knowledge-based curriculum in which teachers are encouraged to teach without constraint.
- Work-life-balance -, slimmed-down marking centralised homework, no parents evening and minimal reporting and data entry.
- Tight behaviour systems including SLT lead centralised detentions to allow you to focus solely on teaching.
- World class facilities and technology in the form of Google Classroom and a Chromebook for every teacher.
- Private health care through AET.
- A new programme 'Fast Track to Leadership' which is geared towards newly qualified/recently qualified individuals who are at the beginning of their teaching career but have aspirations for leadership within their sights in the near future.
Come and visit us to meet the team of students and staff who are making Greenwood Academy one of the best schools in our city:
We actively welcome visits where you will have the opportunity to meet the Headteacher Allen Bird and other members of the team.
We are holding an informal recruitment event on Wednesday 14 March 4.30 - 5.30 pm where you can meet key staff and learn more about us!
Please contact Sue Britland on 01214646101 or firstname.lastname@example.org to book a visit.
Closing Date: Noon Monday 19 March 2018
Start date: September 2018
For further information on this position and to make an application please click 'quick apply' https://www.tes.com/jobs/vacancy/teacher-of-english-nqts-welcomed-birmingham-1039265
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early should we receive an overwhelming response. All candidates are advised to refer to the job description and person specification before making an application.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate will be required for all posts. This post will be subject to enhanced checks as part of our Prevent Duty.