Senior Project Manager
About the Role:
Are you a dedicated and experienced professional looking for an exciting and rewarding challenge leading and assisting in transformational change?
West Midlands Police (WMP) is the second largest metropolitan force in the UK. Following the New Ways of Working Modernisation Programme, WMP are embarking upon an Estates Programme within the WMP2020 Change Programme, focused on delivering a modern and flexible force-wide estate, supporting the delivery of the operational policing model defined by WMP2020.
The Business Transformation department within WMP is pivotal to the successful delivery of the WMP2020 transformational change programme and beyond. Additional posts within the department are required to lead the delivery of elements of the next phase of this programme. You will be responsible for driving forward change, working alongside and influencing senior leaders, both internal and external to the organisation.
The successful candidates will champion a culture of innovation and have a sound and demonstrable grasp of people and organisational change. They will also have a passion for finding innovative and agile ways of working and a desire to embrace change.
These are exciting times for WMP and we want individuals that are focused and motivated by the challenge ahead, to join us.
The successful candidates will have and demonstrate the following attributes:
- Strong leadership, management and decision-making skills
- Professionalism, integrity, deliver on promises, personal responsibility and commitment, resilience, energy and drive to get things done
- Credibility within a programme environment and ability to influence others
- Ability to find innovative ways of solving and pre-empting problems and adapting to change
- Understanding and delivery in line with application of strategic objectives
- Encourage and deliver creativity and innovation
- Experience and a proven track record of delivering large scale transformational projects
- Formal project management qualifications and relevant experience
- Experience and ability to work with the full range of stakeholders
The posts are dependent on the preferred candidate obtaining relevant security clearances.
All roles are based in Birmingham but could be required to travel across the West Midlands region. Successful candidates will have the option to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
The Senior Project Manager role will work across the entire WMP Change portfolio and will be accountable for the design, planning, co-ordination, facilitation and monitoring of change projects; developing capability to embed service improvement tools and techniques.
This will involve developing the capability to embed service improvement tools and techniques supporting the continuous improvement and redesign of business delivery.
They will provide leadership both as line managers and individually to colleagues and stakeholders.
They will define business requirements for all areas across the Force and to introduce solutions to meet these requirements; taking responsibility for the day to day running and delivery of the projects, resulting in new ways of working and identified business benefits being realised.
- Develop a clear understanding of West Midlands Police strategic objectives and how these correlate and translate into Business Change requirements and the overall change plan
- Define and agree priorities for business requirements for force departments, recommend appropriate solutions and prepare specifications required for those solutions. Obtain Senior Responsible Owner (SRO) and/or Project Owner acceptance of proposals to meet their needs
- Actively engage with the Project Owner, SRO and other stakeholders during the course of a project and communicate effectively on project deliverables to ensure they are well received by the recipients of the change and that the project is successfully delivered and benefits realised
- Apply relevant project standards incorporating the Gateway review process if required in order to ensure that projects are defined, governed and managed in a consistent manner across the organisation
- Implement agreed solutions, ensuring compliance with the Forces design principles, in accordance with force Project Management standards and methodologies
- Secure and allocate resources as necessary for project work, working within an allotted budget and monitoring spend for each project, making appropriate adjustments within agreed limits in order to see a project through to successful conclusion
- Manage the work and priorities of the Project Team throughout the project lifecycle, defining appropriate products, standards and timescales in accordance with the force Project Management Standards, to ensure that the project delivers quality products to time and within budget
- Advise Project Boards, resolve issues and recommend corrective action as appropriate so that projects are sustained and implemented, working within the agreed decision making process/project governance arrangements
- Prepare project documentation, using the Force’s Project Management standards and methodologies, associated toolkits and guidance. Setting out the project objectives, plan, costs, benefits and performance measures to ensure that work is carried out in a timely and effective manner and to meet budgets and deadlines where applicable
If appropriate, prepare invitations to tender and manage the tender process through to successful completion to ensure that WMP gets value for money and services/resources secured are relevant and represent good practice
- Demonstrate awareness/understanding of equal opportunities and other people’s behavioural, physical, social and welfare needs
- Ensure that reasonable care is taken at all times for the health, safety and welfare of yourself and other persons, and to comply with the policies and procedures relating to health and safety within the department
- Any other duties commensurate with the role and band/grade
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE
Knowledge & Experience (including qualifications)
- Managing large-scale/complex enterprise wide business transformation projects
- Managing multiple work-streams
- Proactive change management and delivery of service change
- Managing multi-skilled teams operating in a matrix management environment
- Managing senior stakeholders including SROs, Executive Teams
- Project and Change Management methodologies, techniques and tools.
- Educated to degree level or have substantial experience (min 5 years) in a relevant field
- A recognised PPM qualification (MSP and/or PRINCE2)
- Experience of managing projects within a public sector environment
- Project Management (scoping, planning and execution)
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Risk and Issue management
- Ability to prioritise and manage conflicts (people and tasks)
- Networking, engagement, persuasion, influencing and communications skills
- Written, oral and presentations skills
- Tact and diplomacy skills when managing sensitive issues in a discreet manner
- Excellent commercial acumen
- Strategically aware with the ability to see the ‘bigger picture’ but able to translate and describe in detailed plan form
- Excellent leadership and people management skills
- Ability to build effective collaborative relationships with a wide range of professionals within and around West Midlands Police
- Ability to lead multi-disciplinary and multi-agency groups to achieve the optimum outcome for all parties
- Ability to set plans at a strategic level incorporating aggressive timescales and manage to successful completion
- Coaching and mentoring skills
- Ability to understand the strategic aims and objectives of the organisation and be able to work at a strategic level with Chief Officers and other senior members of staff
- Strong numerical and verbal critical reasoning ability in order to think strategically, logically and clearly, and to take rational decisions and decisive action under pressure
- Ability to analyse both qualitative and quantitative information
- Ability to identify the wider implications of any change and the inter-dependencies between different initiatives
- Possesses a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experienced and competent in the use of MS Office applications (specifically Project, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Overseeing Project budgetBudgetary Responsibility
- Overseeing Project budget
The post holder will be contracted to work 36.5 hours per week but will need to be flexible to meet the demands of the post and may have to work outside normal core hours.
The post holder will need to have the ability to travel to different locations across the region, as required
The post may have line management responsibility for a team of Project Managers and Programme Support staff