Are you a dedicated and experienced professional looking for an exciting and rewarding challenge leading and assisting in transformational change?
West Midlands Police (WMP) is the second largest metropolitan force in the UK. Following the New Ways of Working Modernisation Programme, WMP are embarking upon an Estates Programme within the WMP2020 Change Programme, focused on delivering a modern and flexible force-wide estate, supporting the delivery of the operational policing model defined by WMP2020.
The Business Transformation department within WMP is pivotal to the successful delivery of the WMP2020 transformational change programme and beyond. Additional posts within the department are required to lead the delivery of elements of the next phase of this programme. You will be responsible for driving forward change, working alongside and influencing senior leaders, both internal and external to the organisation.
The successful candidates will champion a culture of innovation and have a sound and demonstrable grasp of people and organisational change. They will also have a passion for finding innovative and agile ways of working and a desire to embrace change.
These are exciting times for WMP and we want individuals that are focused and motivated by the challenge ahead, to join us.
The successful candidates will have and demonstrate the following attributes:
- Strong leadership, management and decision-making skills
- Professionalism, integrity, deliver on promises, personal responsibility and commitment, resilience, energy and drive to get things done
- Credibility within a programme environment and ability to influence others
- Ability to find innovative ways of solving and pre-empting problems and adapting to change
- Understanding and delivery in line with application of strategic objectives
- Encourage and deliver creativity and innovation
We’re looking for candidates with:
- Experience and a proven track record of delivering medium to large scale transformational projects
- Formal project management qualifications or relevant experience
- Experience and ability to work with the full range of stakeholders
The posts are dependent on the preferred candidate being successfully vetted.
All roles are based in Birmingham but could be required to travel across the West Midlands region. Successful candidates will have the option to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- To define and agree priorities for business requirements for West Midlands Violence Prevention Alliance, recommend appropriate solutions and prepare specifications required for those solutions. Obtain Senior Responsible Owner (SRO) and/or Project Owner acceptance of proposals to meet their needs.
- To actively engage with the Project Owner, SRO and other stakeholders during the course of a project and communicate effectively on project deliverables to ensure they are well received by the recipients of the change and that the project is successfully delivered and benefits realised.
- To apply relevant project standards incorporating the Gateway review process if required in order to ensure that projects are defined, governed and managed in a consistent manner across the organisation.
- To implement agreed solutions, ensuring compliance with the Force’s design principles, in accordance with force Project Management standards and methodologies.
- Work within an allotted budget and monitor spends, make appropriate adjustments within agreed limits in order to see the project through to successful conclusion.
- To manage the work and priorities of the Project Team throughout the project lifecycle, defining appropriate products, standards and timescales, to ensure that the project delivers quality products to time and within budget.
- To advise Project Boards, resolve issues and recommend corrective action as appropriate so that projects are sustained and implemented, working within the agreed decision making process/project governance arrangements.
- To prepare project documentation, using the Force’s Project Management standards and methodologies, associated toolkits and guidance. Setting out the project objectives, plan, costs and performance measures to ensure that work is carried out in a timely and effective manner and to meet budgets and deadlines where applicable.
- If appropriate, to prepare invitations to tender and manage the tender process through to successful completion to ensure that WMP gets value for money and services/resources secured are relevant and represent good practice.
- Demonstrate awareness/understanding of equal opportunities and other people’s behavioural, physical, social and welfare needs.
- Ensure that reasonable care is taken at all times for the health, safety and welfare of yourself and other persons, and to comply with the policies and procedures relating to health and safety within the department.
- Carry out any other duties which fall within the broad spirit, scope and purpose of this job description and which are commensurate with the grade of the post
This job description reflects the major tasks to be carried out by the post holder and identifies a level of responsibility at which they will be required to work. In the interests of effective working, the major tasks may be reviewed from time to time to reflect changing needs and circumstances. Such reviews and any consequential changes will be carried out in consultation with the post holder.
Experience & Understanding
- Essential Managing business transformation projects
- Managing multiple work-streams
- Proactive change management and delivery of service change
- Project and Change Management methodologies, techniques and tools.
- Experience of managing projects within a public sector environment.
- Managing multi-skilled teams operating in a matrix management environment
- Managing senior stakeholders including SROs, Executive Teams
- Project Management (scoping, planning and execution)
- Problem solving and analytical skills
- Risk and Issue management
- Ability to prioritise and manage conflicts (people and tasks)
- Networking, engagement, persuasion, influencing and communications skills
- Written, oral and presentations skills
- Ability to show tact and diplomacy managing sensitive issues in a discreet manner
- Strategically aware with the ability to see the ‘bigger picture’ but able to translate and describe in detailed plan form
- Excellent leadership and people management skills.
- Ability to build effective collaborative relationships with a wide range of professionals within and around West Midlands Police.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Ability to understand the strategic aims and objectives of the organisation and be able to work at a strategic level with Chief Officers and other senior members of staff
- Strong numerical and verbal critical reasoning ability in order to think strategically, logically and clearly, and to take rational decisions and decisive action under pressure
- Ability to analyse both qualitative and quantitative information
- Ability to identify the wider implications of any change and the inter-dependencies between different initiatives
- Possesses a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Experienced and competent in the use of MS Office applications (specifically Project, Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Excellent commercial acumen
- Ability to lead multi-disciplinary and multi-agency groups to achieve the optimum outcome for all parties.
- Ability to set plans at a strategic level incorporating aggressive timescales and manage to successful completion
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to own professional development
- Awareness of and commitment to WMP’s EDHR Strategy.
Training & Education
- Educated to degree level or have substantial experience (min 2 years) in a relevant field
- A recognised PPM qualification (MSP and/or PRINCE2).
The post holder will be contracted to work 36.5 hours per week but will need to be flexible to meet the demands of the post, and may have to work outside normal core hours.
They will need to have the ability to travel to different locations as required.
Span of Control
- They will need to develop a clear understanding of West Midlands Police strategic objectives and how these correlate and translate into Business Change requirements and the overall change plan
- The post may have line management responsibility for a team of Project Managers and Programme Support staff