Our opportunity for you
We have a vacancy for a Science Technician.
Reporting directly to the Curriculum Leader for Science, the technician will provide support to the Science team to support the efficient and effective running of the Learning Area.
Do you want to work with resilient, eager students aged 11-16? Are you able to help young people develop academic and personal skills swiftly? Would you value the opportunity to work in a modern, vibrant town with a historic heart? Then Landau Forte Academy Amington is the place for you. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a leading educational organisation at the cutting edge of educational development.
- Hours: 20.0 per week
- Working Pattern: Term Time plus Five Days
- Contract: Permanent
- Start date: 29 August 2018
- Full Time Equivalent Salary: £16,500
- Actual Salary: £7,314
- Closing Date: 2 July 2018
About The Trust
Landau Forte Charitable Trust is a family of six Primary, Secondary and Sixth Form Academies across the Midlands. Established in 1989, our roots as a charity lie in the global finance and hospitality industries, with our founders Martin Landau and Rocco Forte. Their values combine in how our schools look after their children and young people; they aspire to a world-leading standard of innovation, entrepreneurship, service and care.
We believe a brilliant education should be central to the development of every child and young person. Their learning, wellbeing and happiness is at the centre of every decision we take and every pound we spend.
Person Specification and Job Description
The type of person we are looking for will have a genuine commitment to making a positive contribution to the Academy and most importantly a difference to the lives of young people – their educational and broader achievement, self-esteem and confidence, social well-being and future employability. Specific Skills and Abilities
- Provision of support services to the teaching staff in organising requirements for their work.
- Preparation of materials to exact specification from stock as directed and clearing away equipment.
- Assistance to teaching staff with demonstration lessons and practicals.
- Oversight of specialised teaching areas, stores and/or preparation rooms and arrangements for maintenance and repair services to equipment and working surfaces.
- Assisting in the maintenance of safety standards in the departments.
- Set up and try out experiments before lessons, assessments and examinations to ensure that they work.
- Maintenance of stock and breakage records, catalogues and user manuals.
- Assist in the annual audit of stock.
- Ordering, receiving and accounting for new stock and equipment.
- Assist with the development of resources.
- Operation of audio-visual equipment and arrangement for appropriate maintenance and servicing.
- Collect materials from academy grounds and local suppliers.
- Prepare and make teaching aids as required.
- Deal with emergencies in classes, breakages and spillages of chemicals.
- Have knowledge of microbiological techniques – sterilisation and disposal of contaminated
- Take care of plants and any animals within the area.
- Maintain and clean any scientific apparatus on an annual basis.
- Check materials and equipment before and after use by class for quantity and damage.
- To be responsible for the safe storage of chemicals and apparatus.
- To be responsible for Science department’s displays.
Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant qualifications (both formal and through appropriate experience) to meet the challenge of the specific appointment.
- Evidence of successful employment and education.
- You will be educated with formal qualifications including GCSE (or Level 2 equivalent) in Mathematics and English Language or similar qualifications gained since leaving compulsory education.
In addition, responsibilities may be delegated in line with experience, expertise and designated role within the Academy.
What We Can Offer You
- A supportive, cohesive and exciting working environment
- The chance to work with genuinely enthusiastic and happy students
- Career prospects within an innovative and ambitious Multi Academy Trust
- A meal allowance, commensurate with your working hours
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Healthcare Cash Plan, from Westfield Health
Landau Forte Academy Amington
We are a rapidly improving 11-16 academy under new leadership, with a Progress 8 score which improved dramatically from 2015. It is a vibrant place to work with committed staff and a student body who’s behaviour Ofsted described as ‘polite, courteous and respectful’. Our aim is to continue this arc of improvement. Opportunities for professional development are enhanced by our partnership with the Landau Forte Teaching School Alliance.
The local area
Tamworth is a historic town surrounded by beautiful countryside, located a short distance from Birmingham. The Academy is located close to the centre of Tamworth, with superb transport links.
Tamworth boasts a range of historical sites and leisure attractions, including: Tamworth Castle; the Tamworth SnowDome and Drayton Manor Amusement Park. Within a 20 minute drive from the town, you can find yourself in the beautiful, open Staffordshire countryside or Birmingham‘s bustling city centre.
- Tamworth is 10 minutes away from the M42; junction 10
- Direct trains from Birmingham (10 minutes) and London (1 hour 15 minutes)
- Birmingham and East Midlands Airports are 30 minutes away