Visitor Economy Officer
Malvern Hills District Council is a small, progressive local authority, situated in one of the Country's most attractive areas, offering excellent conditions of service and a high quality of life. We are looking for a new member of our Economic Development Team to support local tourism to continue to thrive.
Visitor Economy Officer
£24,657 - £29,055 per annum.
Economic Prosperity is a top priority for Malvern Hills District Council and we are seeking a driven and enthusiastic tourism professional to take a lead role in the development and delivery of a variety of tourism projects, marketing campaigns and visitor initiatives across the Malvern Hills District.
You will -
- Assist in the implementation of the Council’s Economic Strategy and Visitor Economy Action Plan in conjunction with other local organisations and the tourism and hospitality sector.
- Work with local stakeholders and partners on the promotion of the District as a tourism destination organising appropriate marketing activities and producing promotional material.
- Lead on the use and development of the tourism website and our social media to promote ‘The Malverns’ and deliver campaigns to drive increased visitor spend.
- Assist in the review and implementation of the District’s Visitor Economy Action Plan.
- Ensure we are delivering excellent customer service for visitors and residents by providing information about attractions, events, shopping, leisure and other services in Malvern Hills, Worcestershire and the region to proactively promote all that the area has to offer. The services are provided to visitors in person and virtually using the website and other interactive channels.
- Liaise with local tourism businesses and organisations to understand their needs and to ensure their continued presence and investment in the District by maintaining regular contact directly or through business forums.
- Develop and implement projects that benefit the local visitor economy in conjunction with other local authorities, economic development agencies, the private and voluntary sectors and other Council Departments.
- Co-ordinate bids for funding of projects from external agencies and to undertake appropriate lobbying on behalf of the Council.
- Promote the availability of grant aid from all sources for local projects, groups and businesses.
- Undertake necessary audits and mapping of visitor economy activity.
- Work with others to deliver and develop sustainable events that support the visitor economy and attract footfall to our town centres.
- Provide supervision of the Councils Tourist Information Centres
You will have relevant experience of implementing tourism development strategies, delivering promotional campaigns using a range of media, a sound understanding of funding and promotional programmes, providing advice and guidance to businesses, have experience of supervising staff and be ready to undertake a range of activities in partnership with public, private and voluntary partners.
Excellent communication skills, oral, written and presentation.
Excellent interpersonal skills and able to operate at all levels.
Ability to influence, lobby and negotiate effectively
Ability to organise and plan work effectively and within specified deadlines
Excellent ‘leadership’ and facilitation skills
Experience of working with members of the public.
Staff management, recruitment and development experience
Must have previous experience in tourism, economic development or marketing discipline.
Must have experience of leading and working in multi agency partnerships
Experience of delivering marketing activities and producing promotional material
Experience of website management and using social media for promotional purposes
Experience of developing and delivering Strategy and associated activities and projects
Experience in managing and delivering events.
Ability to use appropriate computer applications (Word/Powerpoint/Outlook etc)
Knowledge of project management and financial management principles and the ability to apply these in practical situations
Good understanding of website and social media platforms for promotion
Full Driving licence and access to a vehicle
Ability to work outside of normal working hours i.e. evenings, weekends and bank holidays
Qualification in tourism, marketing or related discipline to minimum NVQ level 3 or equivalent.
If you would like an informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact Simon Smith (Economic Development Manager) on 01684 862199.
Closing date: 1st August 2018
Interview date: 14th August 2018Supporting documents
Job Description and Person Specification