Operations Manager– Ref: EE23318
4 days left
Operations Manager– Ref: EE23318
G10 (SCP 40 to 45) £35,795 to £40,454 per annum plus casual car user allowance
Annual leave 28 to 33 days per annum (depending on length of local government service)
Location; Walsall Borough, Clean & Green Services
*This post is open to current employees of Walsall Council Only*
We are seeking a qualified Operations Manager. Working within a highly motivated management team delivering key front line services such as refuse collections, grounds maintenance and street cleaning (Clean & Green Services). The successful candidate will manage and promote environmental services ensuring customer service standards are delivered in a cost effective and efficient manner, within one or more of the core areas of responsibility.
Main Activities include:
- To manage, develop and implement service operations, assisting in policies, strategies, projects and initiatives to deliver a sustainable customer focused, high quality, cost effective environmental services (waste, fleet, grounds/green spaces, street cleansing) for all stakeholders including residents, commercial businesses, internal council services, elected members etc.
- To manage and provide direction to front line operational services ensuring that Council vision and priorities are met.
- To manage services in conjunction with other environmental sections within the department including Strategy and Green Space to ensure a co-ordinated approach to the delivery of environmental services for the residents of Walsall. To be responsible for the management of the day to day operation of front line service provision, monitoring performance and providing guidance, direction and support to the operational management team.
- To manage and implement service changes to continual improve the service such as the implementation of new schemes, operational service changes and practices, legislative change, policy changes and improvement initiatives including smarter working initiatives.
- Ensure services are provided to the highest possible standards within the resources available. To implement effective systems for setting targets, managing performance, reporting systems, identifying and overcoming weaknesses and delivering sustained improvements. Managing operational resources (Environmental staff- circa 80 front line employees)
- Responsible for providing, communicating and planning environmental services to all communities, groups, public, across the borough for the collection and disposal of waste, keeping our streets clean and safe, maintaining our parks, green space to ensure neighbourhoods within the borough are clean, safe, sustainable, aesthetically pleasing and making people feel pride in the areas they live.
Interested candidates should possess:
- Full UK driving licence, including Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence)
- NVQ level 3 or equivalent in one or more environmental disciplines i.e. waste and recycling collections, street cleansing services, grounds maintenance (horticulture), green spaces, fleet services, business management
- Driver related industry knowledge including reversing assistance, working time directives and driver’s hours’ rules, data recording and record keeping (tachographs), Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC), transfer station operations/disposal sites, practical driving experience.
- IOSH accreditation (Institute of Safety and Health) qualification or equivalent
- 37 hours – Monday to Sunday working, required to work some weekends to manage Clean & Green operations. Weekends duties - time off in lieu (TOIL) for any time worked over 37 hours
- Flexible working scheme - required to operate flexible work patterns to meet the operational demands of the service including but not limited to – early morning starts, cover for end of day operations, lunch time cover arrangements.
- Out of hours working – Contractually required to attend meetings outside of core hours e.g. Neighbourhood Committees, working groups, public events, emergency out of hours’ response, etc. Out of hours duties - time off in lieu (TOIL) for any time worked over 37 hours
- Bank Holidays – Contractual, payment will be paid at basic rate (time) + half + time off in lieu
Closing date: 20th August 2018
Job Description & Employee Specification
Information For Applicants