Development Officer/Senior Development Officer - Highways
4 days left
37.0 Hours per Week
We are seeking an individual to lead on all aspects of Highways advice to a busy Development Management team. As an integral part of the Planning, Design and Engagement Team, you will have the opportunity to respond to a wide range of planning applications and transport assessments, together with working with our Planning Policy team to support in the development of new planning policy.
You will have proficient knowledge and experience of highways design, best practice and quality of place, streets for all and the public realm. An ability to understand and comprehensively audit Transport Assessments is essential to the role. You will need to ensure that developments are fully mitigated for in terms of transport and highways.
So why Solihull? Well, there’s plenty going on to get you out and about in our beautiful borough. As well as supporting the growth aspirations at UK Central of Birmingham Airport, Jaguar Land Rover and the National Exhibition Centre, we handle the range of work you would expect an economically prosperous Met Authority to be.
We continue to negotiate the complexities of delivering a revised Local Plan and we are also working hard to do what is needed to welcome the arrival of HS2 (with the first station outside London arriving here in 2026). Ensuring we are maintaining our historic and natural landscape, and delivering the design quality, community benefits and green and blue infrastructure that only the best development in the right locations can, is all part of the job.
With such a big agenda, we are striving for planning services that are well resourced, fit for the future and geared up for delivery. We are after the brightest and best talent; commercially minded and emotionally intelligent. Your understanding of technical detail is important, but equally so is your ability to tell and sell our planning story. You’re going to need to be engaging, confident and dynamic with a can do approach to your area of interest or expertise to help us rise to the challenge.
You will have:
- A civil engineering degree and licentiate (or equivalent) status of an appropriate highway institution (e.g. IHT or IHE)?
- Experience and knowledge of appropriate Planning and Highway legislation and policies (i.e. Highways Act 1980, Town & Country Planning Act, National Planning Policy Framework and Construction Design & Management Regulations 2016).
- Experience and a working knowledge of relevant highway design standards, guidance and best practice (i.e. Manual for Streets 1 & 2, DMRB, CIRIA SuDs Manual. TSRGD, Traffic Signs Manual).
- IT/computer literate with excellent knowledge and experience of Windows Office packages including Word Excel and Outlook.
In return we can offer:
- Flexible working, including flexi leave up to 24 days per year and agile working arrangements
- The opportunity to buy up to 10 days additional leave per year
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme – a 24 hour independent, free and confidential advice and support service
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Employee benefits including a staff discount card
For an informal discussion about this post, please contact Sheron French, on 0121 704 6562
Interview Date - w/c 1st October 2018
The Fluency Duty is outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers. The Fluency Duty for this role is Required.
This post requires the following Disclosure and Barring check: Not required.
Solihull Council has a responsibility for, and a commitment to, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and requires all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.