Grade: Band C
Salary: £19,719 to £26,802
Closing Date: 30th July 2018
About the Role:
The IT & Digital department is responsible for the force's adoption and use of information and digital technology.
The department consists of three core functions as follows:
- Architecture Management (responsible for identifying and selecting the right technologies for the force)
- Delivery Management (responsible for delivering and implementing the right technologies for the force)
- Service Management (responsible for managing and maintaining all live, operational technology for the force)
The Delivery Management function is responsible for the implementation/delivery of all new and enhanced Information Technology or Digital Technology solutions in line with force requirements, ensuring that, for all force programmes and projects, WMP delivers:
- Fit-for-purpose technology
- At an appropriate cost
- Within agreed timescales
- With an acceptable level of risk
This will involve the control and management of both internal and external resources as new technology can be built and delivered either internally or by a third party supplier. This function interfaces directly with Business Transformation to ensure the successful delivery of the technical aspects of all force projects and programmes. This function governs and manages development and test environments.
The Technical Tester will be responsible for testing new or changed technology solutions to ensure they meet the agreed quality, performance, architectural and functional requirements. The post holder will work across one or more projects/change initiatives to ensure testing activities are effectively planned, monitored and executed.
The postholder will be expected to document all testing activities, for example test plans, test scripts and test results.
- Work with technical delivery managers to develop the plan and approach for the test phase of a technical delivery;
- Use the appropriate testing tools and techniques for testing across the unit, system, integration and functional acceptance phases;
- Conform to agreed process standards and WMP-specific policies for all testing;
- Provide assistance with the overall preparations for evaluations and in the operation of the test environment;
- Design test cases and test scripts ensuring that these are subsequently mapped back to pre-determined criteria as per the requirements traceability matrix, recording and reporting outcomes;
- Produce test scripts, materials and regression test packs to test new and amended software or services, using agreed methods and standards;
- Execute and record test cases in line with project plans and highlight any key issues or risks observed to the technical delivery manager;
- Execute review cycles including informal review, formal review, testing sign-off and quality assurance review;
- Manage the test environment and the test data. Communicate any defects to the technical delivery manager in order to manage these effectively;
- Create traceability records, ensuring that test cases can be mapped back to pre-defined requirements;
- Update the test register that records both initial requirements and testing results in order for changes to be made where necessary;
- Provide input into testing conclusions as to whether or not the new design or solution meets quality and performance requirements;
- Capture all required testing metrics, generate relevant reports and communicate these in an accurate and timely manner;
- Assist the technical delivery manager with queries relating to test planning, processes and execution;
- Ensure security policies and procedures are in place during testing of applications and systems to ensure that the necessary controls are incorporated.
Must demonstrate proven experience and ability to:
- Perform in a testing role with at least 2 years' experience
- Plan and execute extensive testing activities.
- Understanding of test processes, techniques and methods;
- Understanding of delivery methodologies, particularly Agile and Waterfall methodology and the different test approaches which can be used to support both;
- Understanding of the ITIL framework;
- Understanding of project management methodologies (e.g. PRINCE2).
- IT System Testing;
- Writing test cases, scripts and plans;
- Written, oral and presentations skills;
- Ability to show tact and diplomacy managing sensitive issues in a discreet manner.