To be responsible for the security of the premises and related Health and Safety, maintenance and cleaning within the academy and providing an appropriate environment for students to work and learn.
- Be responsible for ensuring the security of academy buildings, site and resources.
- Act as a designated key holder, providing out of hours and emergency access to the school site
- Arrange to carry out first line repairs and maintenance which are not beyond the competence of the staff concerned: -
- plumbing work – e.g. repairing a leaking pipe, simple installation work, such as plumbing in a new tap, or replacing washer etc.;
- redecoration as appropriate;
- plastering work such as repairing cracked or broken plaster, making good damaged walls, for example, following the removal of say, shelving or similar fittings;
- fencing and boundary repairs, e.g. mending broken fencing panels or stakes, repairing holes in chain link fences etc.;
- Glazing work, such as replacing smaller windows, re-beading or re-puttying glass panes, internal and external. N.B. Specialist contractors would be used for repairs to large windowpanes or double-glazed units or windows at a high level.
- Arrange for general maintenance within specialist areas such as heating, lighting and plumbing to ensure safe and effective operation
- Responsible for regular health and safety checks of buildings, grounds, fixtures and fittings, (including compliance with fire safety regulations) and equipment
- Responsible for regular maintenance checks and follow-up actions
- Manage the academy’s maintenance requirements to support a regular and cost effective maintenance programme
- Responsible for contractors whilst on site and ensure work is completed to the required standard, coordinating projects where appropriate.
- Purchase premises related equipment and supplies within agreed budget
- Responsible for the regular checking and operation of systems such as heating, cooling, lighting and security (including CCTV and alarms)
- Undertake risk assessments, ensure compliance within the school with all health and safety responsibilities for example COSHH, ladder, asbestos, legionella and asset register.
- Liaise with other school staff/departments on premises issues.
- Lead H&S induction training for all new staff.
- Responsibility for the coordination of lettings and seeking opportunities to maximize bookings.
- Monitoring utility usage and tracking action to reduce expenditure where appropriate.
- Act as H&S Officer and complete termly H&S checklist inspections
Report H&S matters to SLT