Technician - Central Prevent & Protect
Substantive Vacancy – Technician – Central Prevent & Protect
A vacancy exists for the position of Technician
Salary: Grade 5 (£21,074 - £23,111)
Hours: 37 hours per week (flexible working scheme in operation)
About the role:
To contribute to the implementation of Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Services Prevention, Protection, Road Safety, and Business Safety strategies and to support the delivery of the corporate objectives within the Service’s Corporate Safety Plan by delivering Safe & Well Checks (SAW). To provide general home fire safety advice to members of the public in their homes, and fit smoke alarms and supplementary equipment where required.
• Carry out Safe and Well visits, and support joint visits as required, in accordance with Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service policies and procedures.
• Give advice and guidance to support better health & safety to home owners and tenants during the SAW visit - highlight and discuss potential fire, health, and generic hazards in their homes and offer advice on preventative action.
• Provide health, safety, and wellbeing information, and signpost to Community Safety Officers if required.
• Fit appropriate equipment including Assisted Technology and detection alarms, based on need and thereby providing a direct intervention to support the occupier
• Identify vulnerability factors of occupier’s e.g. sensory impairment, and signpost accordingly.
• Carry out administrative functions in accordance with SFRS policies and procedures.
• Maintain appropriate levels of required stock.
• Drive an SFRS vehicle to appointments and undertake general vehicle maintenance
• Maintain tools and equipment to a satisfactory standard
• Maintain knowledge and an awareness of developments with the prevention arena as required by the role
• Any other duties as determined by CPP and commensurate with the grade
Knowledge and Experience:
• Experience of working alone efficiently and using initiative in order to meet deadlines.
Skills, ability and personal qualities:
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Good IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel & Outlook.
• Ability to process new information quickly.
• Attention to detail in all aspects of the role.
• Good problem solving skills
• Prepared to undertake training for the role, and to develop self as required.
• Full driving licence
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS Check.
Knowledge & Experience:
• Experience of working with or fitting specialist equipment.
• Knowledge of basic property construction and repair.
• Able to evidence practical aptitude.
• Experience of working with vulnerable groups
• British Sign Language/Deaf Awareness
This vacancy is open to internal and external applicants.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 14th October 2018
** Please note that any SFRS Retained personnel wishing to apply must ensure a revised declaration is approved by their SDG, prior to submitting their application **
All communication regarding this vacancy will be issued via email, so please check your email account on a regular basis.
If you have any enquiries please contact:
Julie Ann Edwards, Recruitment Advisor, 01785 898749 or Steph Cooper, HR Business Partner, 01785 898574