1 day left
Grade: Band D Lower
Salary: £27,795 to £33,933
Closing Date: 22nd October 2018
About the role:
The West Midlands Police Forensic Services Department is committed to delivering a consistent and high quality service from a purpose built facility just outside the city centre. Ridgepoint House contains all forensic disciplines from traditional to digital and strong relationships between teams exist. We have an opportunity within the Fingerprint Bureau to recruit two full time Fingerprint Experts.
Appreciating the Advanced Fingerprint Course is no longer in existence, we are looking for individuals who have either completed the Advanced Fingerprint Course and/or be capable of being signed off as a competent practitioner under ISO17025 to complete the final check for fingerprint identifications and produce fingerprint evidence on all crime types. This means that applicants need to have significant experience within fingerprint comparison and would have completed an Advanced course if they were still in existence. There is a requirement for applicants to pass a technical competency test as part of the selection process.
Applicants should be trained in the use of IDENT1 and ideally possess a practical knowledge of SOCRATES and quality standard ISO17025 and Forensic Science Regulators Codes of Practice and Conduct.
- As a Fingerprint Expert you will be responsible for completing all forms of fingerprint searching, comparisons and identifications using both automated and manual processes for all crime types on a daily basis.
- You will utilise remote transmission and analyse friction ridge detail and use appropriate methods to search, compare and identify submissions received from Forensic Scene Investigators and Fingerprint Development Laboratory staff.
- To verify fingerprint identifications for scenes of crime marks and eliminations made by Fingerprint Officers and other Experts in line with ACPO guidelines.
- To produce Streamlined Forensic Reports (SFR1) and prepare full file fingerprint evidence for identification and elimination purposes for presentation in
- To assist in the development and training of Fingerprint Officers and give advice, guidance and assistance when required.
The successful applicant will offer expert specialist advice, interpretation and guidance to police colleagues CPS and other agencies when required.
The successful candidate must demonstrate a methodical and accurate approach to analytical work and be able to follow standard operating procedures (SOP’s) to ensure the continuity and integrity of exhibits and compliance with ISO17025 and the Forensic Science Regulator Codes of Practice and Conduct.
A full driving licence is desirable.
We are in the middle of an exciting programme of development as we move towards our WMP2020 objectives – new ways of working and innovative technology are at the forefront of our thinking. Our region is also hosting the UK City of Culture in 2021 and the Commonwealth Games in 2022.
West Midlands Police are currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future.
- Applicants to have considerable fingerprint comparison experience
- Hold a full driving licence
- Possess a practical knowledge of SOCRATES and quality standard ISO17025 and Forensic Science Regulators Codes of Practice and Conduct.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain confidentiality and apply discretion at all times.
- Alternating shift patterns are worked, covering 6:00-22:00 Monday-Sunday.
- Bank Holidays will be covered 6:00-22:00.
- Appropriate shift allowances are payable.