Grade: Band D
Salary: £27,795 to £38,925
Closing date: 14th December 2018
About the role:
Are you an experienced software developer with a focus on developing .NET solutions or Ionic mobile applications?
Are you ready to make a real difference to citizens of the West Midlands?
Join our team and be at the heart of UK Policing’s most ambitious technology transformation - use your technical skills in software development to prevent crime, protect the public, and help those in need.
West Midlands Police is undertaking a period of unparalleled change and innovation; Mobile Technology is pivotal to both maintaining operational capabilities and building future success.
As a Software Developer you will be working within the Delivery Management function alongside a committed and enthusiastic team of other developers. Throughout your role you’ll receive support from Senior Software Developers, the Development Manager and Mobility Operations Manager. As a Software Developer you will be responsible for the development of highly functional applications, used by both our front line officers and specialist support staff. There will be an expectation for you to have a broad range of knowledge both in terms of existing technologies already in use as well as alternative methods which could bring about service improvement.
We welcome your application if:
- You have the ability to develop software both independently and as part of a team of developers
- You have the ability to develop a solution against a set of prescribed requirements
- You are able to debug existing applications and implement fixes in order to deliver an improved solution and service
- You have knowledge and experience within hybrid mobile application development, particularly Android using Ionic and Angular libraries, or creation of ASP.NET applications and/or services
Working within the IT & Digital Team can be rewarding; we offer the opportunity to work in a large organisation where people can develop their skills, knowledge and careers in an encouraging and flexible environment. Our benefits include:
- 28 days holiday (plus bank holidays) with the option to purchase additional days
- Access to a Corporate Health Cash Plan and wellbeing website
- Modern working environment in central Birmingham
- Opportunity to save on travel costs through a Corporate Travel Scheme
The community we serve within the West Midlands is diverse. West Midlands Police is an equal opportunities employer, meaning we value diversity and shape our workforce to best match and reflect the people we serve.
You will be part of an already diverse and balanced team in terms of skill sets, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability status and ethnic background. The strong team ethos helps us deliver on our departmental mission statement in "Enabling WMP to serve our communities through innovative and empowering technology."
The application process involves a practical challenge so you have opportunity to showcase, rather than just telling us, what you can do.
West Midlands Police is currently undertaking a long term review of staff pay and conditions. The grade, pay and other terms of employment are therefore subject to review and may change in the future.
Knowledge and experience
Must demonstrate proven experience and ability to:
- Develop, maintain and integrate a variety of software solutions
- Translate business requirements into software designs
- Create and maintain technical documentation to high standards
- Understand business and user requirements
- Research new and emerging software development tools and techniques
- Directly communicate with customers at a variety of levels using written and oral methods
- Participate in meetings;
- Promote equality, diversity and Human Rights in working practices
- Maintain standards for security of information
- Work effectively in an agile software development environment
- Comprehensive skills in the development of software
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to confidently interact and empathise with all levels of staff
- Good presentation skills
- The ability to be creative and innovative
- Flexibility to use a variety of supporting technologies and to be innovative
- The ability to work under pressure and be capable of balancing competing demands and priorities
- The ability to learn and adapt
- Proven track record in understanding the need of customers/users
- Good communication skills in order to work effectively throughout the organisation and with external contractors and suppliers
Software skills and experience
It is essential that the post-holder has considerable knowledge and experience of development in at least one of the two core areas:
- Mobile App Development (preferably Android, Hybrid)
- Angular JS
- Apache Cordova
- Ionic framework
- .NET Web Development
- C# .Net (preferably MVC)
- Database interaction (Oracle and/or SQL Server)
- IIS deployment and administration