General Operative Technical (Gheluvelt Park)
Worcester is a great place to work. We have a thriving city centre, investment by cutting edge technology companies, a great wealth of history, a fantastic environment making it somewhere to be proud of.
Surrounded by beautiful countryside, Worcester has a history spanning more than 2,000 years. Its rich heritage includes the 12th Century Cathedral and the Guildhall admired by monarchs from King George III to Queen Elizabeth II. Worcester offers a high quality of life with its rich and varied heritage, award winning parks, excellent schools and diverse range of shops and restaurants.
The city enjoys a strong sporting reputation based on top flight cricket and rugby clubs, a centrally located racecourse and major annual running and cycling events. Worcester has a strong cultural and musical life and is the birthplace of Elgar, one of England’s most celebrated composers.
At Worcester City Council, we are committed to seeking excellence in everything we do as we strive for the coveted Investors in Accreditation standard.
Benefits to you:
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays (rising to 30 days with 5 years of local government service)
- Generous pension scheme
- Support for training and professional development
- Subsidised leisure facilities and employee discounts in local stores
- Free confidential employee assistance programme, available 24 hours a day
If you enjoy working outdoors, are conscientious, a problem solver with a good eye for detail and have a positive forward-thinking attitude, we would be interested to hear from you.
Worcester City Council is looking for a horticulturally-minded person for Gheluvelt Park to act as a park keeper. The candidate must be a keen plants man with a good knowledge of plants and grounds maintenance, be able to work without supervision, be a strong team player and have a practical disposition. You should be physically able to carry out technical and operational maintenance within our park.
Gheluvelt Park is one of our Green Flag premier parks in Worcester. The Green Flag Award is a benchmark national standard for publicly accessible parks and green spaces in the United Kingdom. You will work with our parks manager to achieve and maintain our Green Flag status. You will be implementing the Park Management Action Plan to support and maintain our Green Flag status for Gheluvelt Park.
A percentage of the operational duties will entail both horticultural and general maintenance works in all areas of Gheluvelt Park. During the summer season, you will be looking after our Council run Splash Pad. This popular and free water play feature for toddlers to early teens is operational from April to September each year.
Key duties include:
- Horticultural Groundcare – Landscaping ,planting, Weeding, mowing, hedge cutting, strimming, Litter picking and emptying bins
- Monitoring (with accurate record keeping) the water quality for the splash pad.(Full STA level 2 training provided)
- Cleaning and maintaining the splash pad
- Park Health and safety inspections
- Cleaning public toilets
- Monitoring and cleansing our new Sons of rest building within Gheluvelt Park
- Dealing with day to day park enquiries for the public in a courteous manner
- Ability to demonstrate a practical knowledge of Horticultural practices. At least 2 years experience in this field required.
- A basic understanding of Health & Safety legislation e.g. Risk Assessments, COSHH, safe operating procedures.
- You should be a good communicator, computer literate and demonstrate effective customer service skills with our residents and visitors.
- Level 2 or 3 STA in pool maintenance.
- A horticultural qualification.
- Pa1 Pa6 pesticide Qualification - Training Provided
If you would like any more information about this post, please email Mark Baylis on Mark.Baylis@worcester.gov.uk
The hours of work are 37 hours per week.
Closing date: 13th January 2019
PLEASE NOTE During the Summer Season when the Splash Pad is operational (April to the end of September) you will be working a split rota which involves working weekends. This will include enhanced pay on Sundays.Supporting documents
CG2.3 General Operative Technical.pdf