Housing Outreach Officer
We are looking for an experienced, enthusiastic, organised and flexible individual to join our Housing Outreach Service, providing tailored support to households experiencing or threatened with homelessness. This is a 1 year post to cover maternity leave.
In return we can offer you a dynamic working environment, opportunities for training and development, flexible working hours and a minimum of 25 days annual leave.
You will work with a wide range of households with a variety of support needs and your role will be to prevent your customers from becoming homeless and help them to access and maintain suitable accommodation.
You will work within the busy Housing & Welfare Options Team, delivering a proactive outreach and support service which will be key to the Council’s success in tackling homelessness in the city. You will also provide support and assistance to colleagues where needed, working flexibly to meet the needs of customers and the service.
The role will be based at offices in the centre of Worcester, but much of your work will be conducted in customers’ homes or other locations, meaning that the ability to travel within Worcester and, at times, outside the city, is essential. You must also have excellent IT and organisational skills to enable you to maintain a high level of customer service and efficiency whilst working from different locations. You must also have a commitment to adopting safe risk assessment and lone working practices, in accordance with Council policy and procedure.
You will have experience of providing tenancy related support to vulnerable customers, preferably in a homelessness context and will have knowledge of law and practice in relation to housing and homelessness. You must also have a detailed knowledge of welfare benefits and experience of working in partnership with a range of statutory and non statutory agencies to meet customers’ needs.
- Experience of working with vulnerable customers in a similar customer focused role and carrying out needs and risk assessments
- Experience of implementing, developing and monitoring support plans
- Knowledge and experience of relevant homelessness and housing allocations legislation and guidance would be desirable
- Knowledge of welfare benefits including Universal Credit and other statutory functions (such as social care, health, mental health services)
- Good knowledge of debt management, money advice and personal budgeting help
- Experience of working under pressure in a busy customer facing environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to communicate to a wide variety of people for a variety of purposes
- Experience of working in partnership with a range of other organisations to meet the needs of customers
- An empathetic but assertive approach, with the ability to make and communicate difficult decisions
- Excellent IT skills – experience of using a variety of programmes to communicate, keep accurate records and monitor progress and performance
- Strong team player, with a flexible and adaptable approach to meet the needs of customers and the service
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and make decisions using own initiative
If you would like an informal discussion about the role please contact Emma Jordan, Housing Welfare and Options Team Manager, 01905 721121 on or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date: 3rd February 2018