Grade: Band D Lower
Salary: £28,353 to £34,614
Closing Date: 28th April 2019
West Midlands Police is looking to recruit a communications officer to join our friendly, welcoming and award-winning Corporate Communications team to support corporate internal, external and campaign activity across the organisation. With a workforce of 10,000 people and a population of more than 2.8 million people to cover, Corporate Communications offers a busy and versatile working environment where no two days are the same.
Reporting to an account manager, you will have excellent verbal, written, digital and communication skills and experience of producing and implementing communication plans across a wide range of platforms.
Your role will include working creatively and innovatively to seek out new opportunities and channels to maximise internal and external engagement opportunities.Producing innovative, accurate and engaging information, the team works closely with our partners, colleagues and the public to support the Chief Constable’s vision of preventing crime, protecting the public and helping those in need.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To assist Account Managers in the development and implementation of effective corporate, internal communications and campaign plans
- To write articles and features and assist in the development and production of all aspects of internal and external communications including the force website and intranet
- To develop, distribute and evaluate proactive campaigns and marketing material in support of the force’s strategic objectives, including the use of internal and external focus groups.
- To work with external partners to maximise opportunities for joint working, including campaigns.
- To identify new and emerging opportunities to engage internally and externally.
- To identify best practice in other organisations and demonstrate innovation and creativity in the preparation of marketing material.
- To assist in the preparation and dissemination of e-bulletins, information reports, updates and other marketing and communication material.
- To organise meetings and events and attend when required, providing support where necessary.
- To represent the Corporate Communications Department on working parties, meetings, ad hoc projects and other forums as required.
- To carry out other duties which are consistent with the nature, responsibilities and grading of this role including supporting the media desk.
What you’ll get in return
We offer an extensive benefits package including:
- Competitive salary
- Minimum 28 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Access to the Corporate Health Cash Plan and Wellbeing website
- Excellent range of employee benefits
- Modern working environment in central Birmingham
- Opportunity to save on travel costs through a corporate travel scheme
- Award winning commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Generous local government pension scheme, based on career average earnings
- Family friendly working practices
- Access to exclusive clubs and associations
- Formal qualification in English or public relations related qualification to degree level or equivalent and/or two to three years’ experience in a communications office environment
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Experience of publishing information across a range of social media
- Proven presentation skills
- Highly developed digital skills including experience of using CMS systems, WordPress and other software
- Ability to work on your own initiative
- Flexible, approachable and with the ability to develop good working relationships at all level
- Proven organisational and planning skills
- Experience in using digital marketing software including Wideos and Piktochar
Interviews are likely to be week commencing 3rd June 2019.