WFS Mental Health Nurse
Welcome to Worcestershire Children First.
Our vision is for Worcestershire to be a wonderful place for all children and young people to grow up, and our mission is to Support children and young people to be happy, healthy and safe. We do this by keeping children and young people at the heart of everything we do, supporting and empowering parents to care for their own children well, valuing education as the best start in life for all children, and acting in a professional and timely way to protect children from harm.
Worcestershire Children First is responsible for the delivery of services to children and young people across Worcestershire. We are a not for profit company and 100% owned by Worcestershire County Council.
In June 2019 Ofsted recognised that “Effective work by senior management and staff, together with commitment and investment by political leaders, (had) led to improved responses to the needs of children and families,” and that “As a result, outcomes for many children and their families are better, and there is evidence of a sustained trajectory of improvement,”
Worcestershire Children First is launching the Worcestershire Family Safeguarding (WFS) Pilot in conjunction with Public Health and CCG. We are also working very closely with our partners in NHS Mental Health, Substance Misuse and Domestic Abuse Services in Worcestershire. Family Safeguarding is a whole system change approach, successfully implemented in several local authorities across the country. National evaluations indicate sustained improvement of outcomes for both parents and their children and reduction of the numbers of children requiring statutory interventions. We are keen to implement this model in Worcestershire to further improve outcomes for our children and families.
We know that there are many factors which can contribute to a child requiring support or being at risk of harm. These can include associations with poor mental health, alcohol and drug use and domestic abuse. Family Safeguarding is a strengths-based model which brings together social workers, family support workers, domestic abuse practitioners, recovery workers, mental health practitioners and psychologists in a co-located team to address all the issues facing a family and plan the best way forward. Keeping families together is an important focus of the model and staff will work openly and honestly with families about their difficulties and how we can support them to change. We also recognize the need for practitioners to receive professional support in delivering these key interventions and Worcestershire Children First is committed to ensuring appropriate professional supervision will be provided for all these specialist roles.
WFS Mental Health Nurse – Fixed Term of 24 months
Worcestershire Children First is excited about piloting the approach within our Safeguarding service and looking for an experienced, driven and highly motivated candidate to take on the role of Mental Health Nurse. This is a great opportunity for a highly skilled professional with experience of working in a multi-disciplinary team in the community, trained in delivering specialist mental health interventions.
You will have significant experience of working with children, young people and families in a community mental health setting, able to assess develop and implement evidence-based interventions in order to achieve positive change.
The preferred candidate will have:
- Considerable experience of managing a caseload/casework of individuals with emotional well-being and mental health needs including those with complex needs
- Demonstrable evidence of providing structured therapeutic interventions to individuals, families and in groups
- Specialist understanding of child and adolescent development and risk management of young people in crisis
- Significant relevant experience of working with children and adults with emotional well-being and/or mental health needs
- Evidence of continuing professional development in advances in mental health and emotional well-being best practice
- Demonstrable experience of local resources to meet wider health and care needs drawing on support from the local community
What can Worcestershire offer you?
A basic salary of up to £34,728 per annum.
Specialist professional supervision and support from our partners in linked NHS, Domestic Abuse and Substance Misuse services in addition to expert supervision in Worcestershire Children First.
- The technology and flexibility to work from home, in the office or from touch points across the county
- Ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
- An allowance of up to £10,000 to eligible to recruits who need to move home as a result of accepting an appointment. You can receive help towards removal expenses, legal fees, estate agents’ fees disturbance expenses and additional accommodation costs
So, what next?
If you would like more information on these posts or just simply want to understand more about Worcestershire Children’s First, please contact:
Maria White, Assistant Director (Locality Safeguarding Services) - Tel: 01905 846009
To apply please complete the online application form.
Closing Date: 20th September 2020