Planning Policy Officer
Planning Policy and Environment is a service area within Coventry City Council which supports the growth of the city.
The vision and commitment of the Planning Policy and Environment team ensures there is a robust platform to guide the delivery of sustainable development making provision for local people through the delivery of housing, jobs, retail and community uses whilst creating high quality urban and natural environments.
The service area sits within a larger team alongside Development Management, Building Control and Regulatory Services and encompasses a number of individual but related specialisms all focussed on delivering a city for those wishing to live and work here. Those specialisms include Planning, Ecology, Trees and Landscape, Urban Design, Conservation, Archaeology and Environmental Protection.What is the job role?
We are looking to recruit a Planning Policy Officer to deliver a high quality Planning Policy service in a way that contributes to the achievement of the City Council’s vision and objectives for a growing and sustainable city. You will be responsible for undertaking/initiating specific projects/research and provide policy and strategy support to the Planning team as a whole.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting with the preparation, implementation and review of spatial planning policy including neighbourhood plans working with external partners, including neighbouring authorities to ensure consistent cross boundary policies and implementation proposals are agreed.
- To assist with the monitoring of performance indicators and targets for the Planning Policy team
- To develop and maintain effective working relationships and good communications with key stakeholders, partnerships and other internal divisions and directorates
- To assist with survey work and consultation, including involvement in any necessary publicity; assist with the analysis of data and presentation of results and respond as necessary to requests for information. Assist with research to inform policy development
- Develop and maintain a detailed working knowledge of all appropriate legislation, regulations, good practice, policies, procedures and funding arrangements relating to planning policy
Full list of duties and responsibilities are included in the Job Description & Person Specification attached below.Who are we looking for?
Have you got a degree or equivalent in Planning, or a related discipline?
Do you have knowledge of issues relating to planning?
If yes… we want to hear from you!
We are looking for someone who has a good knowledge of issues relating to planning policy generally, and an understanding of Local Authority policies and procedures relating to these. You must also have Knowledge of customer care and the principles of equal opportunities in providing a Planning Policy function.
Good communication skills, verbal and written, are key as you will be assisting in the preparation and presentation of documentation relating to complex subjects in a way that is concise and able to be easily understood. You must also have the ability to assist in the development and implementation of planning development projects and be able to work in partnership and develop effective relationships with people from external agencies and neighbouring authorities.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement, when writing your personal statement please include the following:
- Your education and experience related to Planning, and Planning Policy specifically, and if you are eligible or working towards membership of a professional body such as RTPI
- An example of an experience where you been directly involved in partnership working with either external organisations, neighbouring authorities or multiple internal departments.
- An example of using analysis of multiple sources of data to make a decision or to decide upon a course of action
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date(s): week commencing 28/09/2020
Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled Coventry CC Application process.