Planning Policy and Environment is a service area within Coventry City Council which supports the growth of the city.
The vision and commitment of the Planning Policy and Environment team ensures there is a robust platform to guide the delivery of sustainable development making provision for local people through the delivery of housing, jobs, retail and community uses whilst creating high quality urban and natural environments.
The service area sits within a larger team alongside Development Management, Building Control and Regulatory Services and encompasses a number of individual but related specialisms all focussed on delivering a city for those wishing to live and work here. Those specialisms include Planning, Ecology, Trees and Landscape, Urban Design, Conservation, Archaeology and Environmental Protection.What is the job role?
We are looking to recruit a Conservation officer to join our Planning Services, to work under the direction of our Urban Design & Heritage Manager. You will be delivering a high quality conservation service in a way that contributes to the achievement of the City Council’s vision and objectives for a growing and sustainable city. You will also be the principal lead officer and advisor in conservation matters.
The main duties and responsibilities of the role include (but are not limited to):
- To project manage conservation capital projects.
- To provide professional advice on conservation and heritage issues to Members, Senior Officers, external partners and the general public.
- To establish and maintain good links with external heritage bodies and assist with bids for external funding to support heritage improvements.
- Monitor the condition of heritage assets and areas and advise on or initiate and implement appropriate action for their repair, maintenance and enhancement.
Full list of duties and responsibilities are included in the Job Description & Person Specification attached below.Who are we looking for?
To apply for this role you must have a Degree or Post Graduate Diploma in Conservation.
We are looking for someone who has a detailed knowledge of conservation principles, practise and law. You must also have knowledge of the development process including economics, cost planning, valuation, and different forms of contract with specific reference to heritage assets.
You will have experience in providing technical advice to a range of audiences on Conservation principles, practice and law; therefore, good communication skills are key.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement, when writing your personal statement please include the following:
- Experience in the analysis and evaluation of quality of design, existing and proposed, of buildings and areas, and present such analysis in a way understandable to lay and expert audiences.
- Examples of an innovative approach to problem solving.
- Examples of working with a range of bodies to promote heritage assets and supporting voluntary and community projects
- Beneficial evidence of preparation of conservation policy and related publications including Conservation Area appraisals
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
Interview date(s): 5th & 6th October 2020Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled Coventry CC Application process.