Trainee Building Control Officer
apT Building Control Team
Trainee Building Control Officer
£24,982 - £27,041 per annum Grade Scale 6
37 hrs per week
Are you looking for a challenge, and a diverse range of work? Do you want to work in an innovative, positive team that shapes and develops the places we live and work in?
If so apT want to hear from you.
Working in our highly innovative and motivated Building Control Team the role of Trainee Building Control Officer will be a varied one which will reflect the gains of their experience and knowledge. Working towards achieving competencies which will enable them to make an effective contribution to the delivery of Building Control and Development Management services.
This role cover both technical and administrative functions.
apT Development Consultancy is part of Telford & Wrekin Council. We deliver planning services from a team which includes Highways Development Control, Ecology, Conservation, Healthy Spaces and Building Control. We deliver holistic and innovative solutions to all our customers. We are also visionaries in our field. apT are the Midlands’ first public sector commercial planning, development and environmental consultancy who support developments through the regulation process, from the promotion of land to achieving consents, through to their safe completion on behalf of clients across the region including Shropshire,Cheshire and the wider Midlands. You will be based in Telford - a destination of vibrant places and experiences where people love to live, work and play.
Sitting in the heart of Shropshire, Telford is the gateway between the Midlands and Wales. Rich in heritage and natural beauty, the borough has a vibrant town centre that’s currently expanding and a 450 acre town park with numerous leisure facilities;
This New Town celebrated its 50th birthday in 2018, and continues to grow from the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution and one of the UK’s first World Heritage Sites to now delivering more than 76 hectares of employment and circa 17,000 new homes up until 2031, as part of the newly adopted Telford& Wrekin Local Plan. Being part of apT ensures you will be play a part in the development and creation of creative and positive places for those who live and work in Telford, building a safe and sustainable environment for future generations to enjoy.
Working alongside our junior and more senior members of the Building Control team the post holder will assist in the duty to administer the Building Control function including –
• Carry out the examination of plans and work under construction under the guidance of a Building Control Surveyor for compliance with the Building Regulations and allied legislation.
• Undertake basic appraisals, including site visits considering the technical, financial and planning implications of schemes.
• Assist in the administration function of the Building Regulations and associated legislation.
• Inputting applications onto the computer system used by the Business Unit. Including accurately plotting applications onto the map-based computer system (GIS).
• Compose letters and reports in connection with Building Control issues.
• On a daily basis the post holder will take messages from builders or developers requiring inspection of work on site and register all inspection requests and enter them on the Building Control computer system.
• Assisting in the administration of applications including the development and negotiation of fees.
• The post holder will also be expected to deal with both non-technical and technical queries both over the telephone and in reception under the guidance of more experienced members of staff and be responsible for providing advice and guidance for minor issues.
• To assist in the provision and creation of information sheets to customers relating to services provided by the Building Control Service.
• To provide an efficient and friendly help desk service ensuring messages are passed on to the relevant Building Control team member promptly.
Requiring excellent communication skills our Trainee Building Control Officer will also assist the Building Control Surveyors when dealing with enquiries from our customers which include members of the public, Councillors and Parish Councils.
Experience of building control work is desirable.
Experience of working as part of team.
A flexible and adaptable approach to work and be able to deal with a number of issues simultaneously, responding to operational needs.
Ability to work under pressure and meet or exceed personal and team targets and deadlines, and be flexible in responding to changing circumstances.
Have a strong customer focus and be able to develop positive working relations with clients, contractors and construction team members
for further information please contact Joe Strafford on 01952 384555
or email Joe.email@example.com
Job Description & Person Specification