Teaching Assistant L1
Level 1 staff work under the direct instruction/supervision of a classroom teacher and provide general basic help and support, mainly but not exclusively of a physical nature.
Key features: To support access to learning for two pupils on a 1:1 basis by undertaking a range of practical duties within the classroom including physical care of pupil(s) as appropriate
SUPPORT FOR PUPILS
- To provide 1:1 support for two pupils in Time for Two's
- Help with the care and support of pupils, both individual and groups
- Supervise the activities of individuals or groups of children to ensure their safety (including duties)
- Contribute to the personal and emotional care, health, hygiene and welfare of pupils.
- Assist pupils with dressing/changing for activities
- Encourage pupils to act independently as appropriate
- Encourage pupils to interact with others and engaged in activities led by a teacher
- Support pupils to understand instructions
- Support pupils in using basic ICT as directed
- Escort pupils around the school premises
- Basic general support to pupils in line with a statement of special needs or planned provision
- Listening to and assisting children to read
- Routine support for pupils with literacy and numeracy skills
SUPPORT FOR THE TEACHER/SCHOOL
- To provide 1:1 support
- Have experience of working with children on a 1:1 basis
- Display and present children’s work as directed
- Prepare and organise teaching resources including the checking and maintaining of teaching and learning equipment and materials including control of stock within the classroom
- Prepare resources for lessons and activities as directed
- Report behaviour difficulties appropriately and support the teacher in basic management of pupil behaviour.
- Assist with supervision of pupils out of school time including before and after school and lunchtime.
- Undertake duties on a rota basis during mid morning and mid afternoon breaks
- Accompany staff and pupils on visits and trips as required and take responsibility for a group under the supervision of a teacher.
- Gather information from parents/carers as directed.
- Maintain basic records in accordance with school policy.
- Provide general clerical support e.g. photocopying, collecting money
- Routine support for pupils to access the curriculum
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, equal opportunities, health and safety, security, confidentiality and data protection. reporting all concerns to the appropriate person.
- Contribute to the overall ethos /work/aims of the school.
- Participate in training, other learning activities and performance development as required.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required.
- All staff in school will be expected to accept reasonable flexibility in working arrangements and the allocation of duties in pursuance of raising pupil achievement. Any changes will take account of salary/ status/hours and will be subject to discussion, in accordance with the guidance note on contractual changes.