Support Workers – Residential Home – Great Barr
Young People 12 - 17 years old
Salary £19,974.77 to £20,721.16, depending on qualifications and experience, rising incrementally to £23,030.02 based on performance
40 hours per week, shift work
Great Barr (B43)
We have presently a fantastic opportunity to join one of our Residential Homes located in Sandwell, and make a real difference to our Young People’s lives.
Our vision is for every child and young person to be safe, loved and happy, to achieve their potential and have a bright future.
St Christopher's is a leading charity for children and young people and we are proud of our history for providing fostering, children's homes and a range of innovative leaving care services across the UK & Isle of Man. We have a passionate commitment to our young people, placing them at the centre of everything we do. We provide positive life experiences for young people who are unable to sustain a placement in their parental or foster home.
At St Christopher`s we can provide more than just a care job. We offer an industry leading training programme, access to qualifications, with a range of employee benefits and of course wider career progression opportunities within our network: we have a fantastic support structure in place and are proud that 84% of all our Team Leaders, Deputies and Managers are internal promotions.
About the Role
As Support Worker at St Christopher’s you will travel with our young people on their life journey and have the opportunity to make an impact on their lives. You will be coaching on life skills, joining in with activities, helping with homework and being a positive role model.
We aim to improve young people’s self-esteem so they believe in themselves and feel confident enough to reach for their dreams.
Applicants should have
- Genuine commitment to working and supporting Young People to achieve their full potential.
- Ability to build genuine and trusting relationships with young people.
- Resilience to cope with challenging behaviour and circumstances.
- Ability to motivate young people and encourage their independence.
- High personal and professional standards.
- Flexibility to undertake shift working including weekends and bank holidays, and occasional sleep-ins.
What you should expect from us
- Salary £19,974.77 to £20,721.16, depending on qualifications and experience, rising incrementally to £23,030.02 based on performance.
- A friendly working environment, a fun, open and honest culture.
- 25 days holiday rising to 27 days after 3 years’ service, plus Bank Holidays, pro-rata.
- Industry Leading training programme including access to level 3 qualifications, children’s right and participation, CSE, empowerment, mental health and Social Pedagogy,
- Contributory pension scheme, Enhanced Maternity and Company Sick Scheme.
- BUPA Employee Assistance Programme, offering counselling, financial advice and legal support.
- Interest-free season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme.
- Discount shopping scheme at hundreds of retailers across the UK.
- Discretionary Funded Training Programs.
- Employee Awards based on performance and length of service.
- Fantastic opportunities to develop your career within our range of services. 84% of all our Team Leaders, Deputies and Managers are internal promotions.
At St Christopher’s we are committed to the safeguarding of all children and young people in our care. During the recruitment process you will be expected to complete an online application form to ensure we capture essential information to meet legislation, best practice and vetting requirements.
Applicants will ideally already be on the DBS Update Service; if this is not the case St Christopher's will carry out a DBS (police) check prior to starting.
Your online application must include a supporting statement addressing the criteria stated in the Person Specification.
For more information or assistance during the application process, please visit our website.
Closing date: 25th October 2020
We advise to apply as soon as possible as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and this opportunity might be filled before the stated closing date.
St Christopher’s Fellowship has a minimum age requirement of 21 for roles working directly with children and young people in our residential and semi-independent Homes.
St Christopher’s is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. We particularly encourage applications from males and older candidates, who are currently under-represented within St Christopher’s Fellowship.