Building Services Mechanical Engineer
5 days left
We are currently looking for a Building Services Mechanical Engineer to join our Compliance and Surveying service. You will be working under the general direction of the Compliance Manager to manage statutory maintenance contracts, prepare technical design specifications and drawings, to obtain tenders and to value and certify payment for work completed.
The main duties for this role include (but are not limited to):
- Working to ensure the Local Authority meets its mechanical Statutory Obligations.
- Providing direct supervision of the Engineering Technician. Undertaking personal mentoring to encourage further development of technical knowledge through the setting of objectives, appropriate training and the allocation and review of tasks undertaken
- To carry out detailed inspection and testing of buildings mechanical services, Low pressure commercial/industrial hot water heating systems, hot and cold water services and combustion installations along with the control of Legionella bacteria within water systems, while ensuring strict compliance with all appropriate legislation in City Council establishments with a view to identifying particular defects or malfunctions and recommend appropriate remedial action.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).Who are we looking for?
To apply for this role, you will have a Degree in Building Services Engineering (or an equivalent study) or extensive experience in an appropriate relevant Mechanical Building Services Engineering role as a project leader on small/medium projects or maintenance and repair programmes or professional building services engineering functions.
We are looking for someone with:
- Experience in managing team members/technicians
- The ability to estimate costings utilising a Schedule of Rates, for maintenance and minor alterations to building services
- The ability to inspect engineering installations in depth and ensure that they conform with set standards and requirements
- Experience in mechanical contract supervision
You must possess a current full UK driving licence and have access to your own vehicle daily. Ability to work flexibly within a working day is key, as you will be needed to suit the working patterns of clients and juniors.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement, please include the following information in your statement:
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of building services mechanical engineering installations including any additional electrical engineering experience you may also have
- How you are able to direct colleagues ensuring the delivery of high quality services, detail your experience in managing team members/technicians allocating work, setting targets and monitoring progress
- Provide details of the building services commercial/industrial mechanical design work you have personally undertaken, specifically related to complete heating replacement, BMS and Legionella management and control.
Please note we do not accept uploaded CV's. Please ensure you demonstrate your experience and skills on the personal statement section of the application form.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date(s): week commencing 14/12/2020Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks