Building Services Electrical Engineering Technician
2 days left
We are looking for an experienced Building Services Electrical Engineering Technician to join our Compliance and Surveying team. You will be working under the general direction of the Area Electrical Engineer to supervise contractors/repair and maintenance teams undertaking periodic inspections of plant and equipment, and to value and certify payment for work completed.
You will also carry out inspections of electrical (power, lighting and controls) in City Council establishments with a view to identifying particular defects or malfunctions and recommend appropriate remedial action.
The main duties for this role include (but are not limited to):
- To ensure that periodic inspections of installations and equipment in City Council establishments, undertaken by contractors & in-house staff, are carried out in accordance with agreed frequency and programme
- To Investigate proposals to repair, alter, or extend existing installations, recommending appropriate modifications where required.
- Prepare detailed reports on the condition of installation and plant inspected, identifying defects and maintenance requirements and recommending appropriate remedial action to ensure the safety of the user.
- Liaise as necessary with other members of the Compliance and Surveying Team in order to co-ordinate visits of inspection where appropriate.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).Who are we looking for?
Your experience should include practical and theoretical knowledge of engineering installations. You will also have an in depth knowledge of all regulations and safety codes of practice appertaining to the safety of users and general public, with a fundamental understanding of:
- 230/400V AC power and lighting installations
- emergency lighting and fire alarm installations
- Passenger & Goods Lift Systems Control and Building Management Systems
This is an extremely client-facing role, therefore strong interpersonal skills and experience dealing with client facing projects are required.
The position requires, as a minimum, for you to be educated to ONC in Electrical Building Services Engineering (or equivalent) or able to demonstrate appropriate trade experience.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement, please include the following information in your statement:
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of building services electrical engineering installations including any additional mechanical engineering experience you may also have
- Provide details of the building services electrical design, inspection and testing work you have personally undertaken, specifically related to main distribution systems, power, lighting, emergency lighting, fire alarms and BMS.
- Examples of building relationships and strong client communication skills when dealing with client facing projects.
Please note we do not accept uploaded CV's. Please ensure you demonstrate your experience and skills on the personal statement section of the application form.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date(s): week commencing 14/12/2020Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks