Social Worker - Children in Care Team
At Sandwell Children’s Trust we are committed to delivering positive changes to the children and families of Sandwell. As we move forward on our continual journey of improvement, there couldn’t be a better time to join us. We are looking to enhance our Children in Care Service with a compassionate, dedicated, caring and experienced Social Worker, with at least 2 years post qualifying experience, who is committed to delivering positive changes to the children and families of Sandwell.
In the Children in Care Teams we work closely with Looked After Children and young people from 0-18 and their carers to ensure that all their needs are being met.
Building relationships is key to our work and so we are looking for a social worker who can engage children and young people of all ages, empowering them to ensure their voice is heard. We are passionate about supporting and advocating for young people to ensure they reach their goals and have the best possible futures.
Progressing care plans is crucial and so you will need to have skills and knowledge in order to promote change and positive outcomes for our young people.
We have 6 supportive teams with permanent managers and need a final social worker to complete the permanent staff group.
Why work for Sandwell Children’s Trust?
At Sandwell Children’s Trust we are proud to a be a progressive organisation where we all work as one for the safety, health, happiness and prosperity of our children and families and where we ensure this is also the case for our great employees.
At Sandwell Children’s Trust, Social Workers can flourish and achieve their full potential as we are continually striving to safely reduce caseloads and provide essential support to our Social Workers to ensure that they have the skills to make real positive changes to our children, young people and families.
Our 12 reasons sets us apart as Sandwell Children’s Trust is the place to grow your career and feel part of a great team. Please visit our 12 reasons via this hyperlink: https://www.sandwellchildrenstrust.org/work-with-us/
There are many benefits for working for us too:
- Access to our Learning & Development portal offering virtual training programmes, learning & development info bursts, learning events and much more.
- The latest technology enabling more effective and streamlined working.
- Detailed and effective appraisals to strengthen your practice.
- Great career progression opportunities.
- Access to a range of family friendly policies and flexible working arrangements.
Benefits & Rewards
- Up to £6,500 re-location package
- Generous annual leave of 30 days (rising to 35 days after 5 years’ service) and an additional 9 public holidays; plus, the opportunity to purchase up to 10 days of additional holiday through our salary sacrifice scheme.
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme, this is a nationwide career average scheme and is a valuable part of the reward package for employees.
- 24/7 access to free and confidential employee counselling service
- Access to Occupational Health services including 24/7 confidential employee counselling service, healthy heart, stress awareness and yoga sessions, physiotherapy self-referral, healthy eating advice and much more.
- Access to a range of discounts on products and services
- Refer a friend scheme that pays £1,000
- Wellbeing initiatives and forums
- Car lease scheme
- Cycle2work scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Eye care vouchers
- Reimbursement of Social Work England registration
Sandwell sits in the heart of the West Midlands and has a diverse population of 327,378 people. While Sandwell is the 12th most deprived local authority in England, it is a community where our families have high aspirations and where we pride ourselves on equality of opportunity and our adaptability and resilience.
We have excellent and affordable transport links, quality housing at affordable prices and an abundance of entertainment, arts, culture and history right on the doorstep.
As a Social Worker working in Children in Care you will:-.
- Assess the vulnerability of Sandwell’s children, providing a service that will significantly improve their quality of life.
- Utilise your developing skills and knowledge to inform Care Planning in order to promote change and positive outcomes for our young people
- Most importantly you will empower children, young people and their families/carers by listening to their views and ensuring their voice is heard.
- You will be passionate about supporting and advocating for young people to ensure they reach their goals and have the best possible futures.
- You must be social work qualified and have completed your ASYE programme in a children and families setting.
- Have excellent analytical skills and be able to make informed decisions with information you have gathered, that has a positive impact on the child’s journey.
- A skilled listener, you will demonstrate how you have understood and ensured a child's voice is heard.
- You will need to be self-motivated, organised with effective communication skills both written and verbally.
- Be a clear decision maker and good team worker
- Have an ability to assess risk and the knowledge of the relevant procedures to manage and reduce risk.
- You will need to demonstrate that you have experience of working with children in care, which could have been gained through working in other teams.
- Have knowledge of the relevant legislation and procedures that relate to looked after children and young people.
How to apply
We believe in making life easier here at Sandwell Children’s Trust so there are no lengthy applications forms to complete, application is by way of CV and a 500-word supporting statement covering the following: -
- Key achievements
- Specialist Knowledge
- Overview of what you can bring to the role
Please email to Recruitment_childrenstrust@sandwell.gov.uk
If you would like to discuss this role, please email either of the service managers:
Stuart Lance-Pencheon – email@example.com or Michelle O’Farrell-Baines, firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 30th November 2020
Sandwell Children's Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups including children, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An Enhanced DBS is required for this position and registration with Social Work England.Supporting documents
Grade F Job description
Grade F Person specification
Grade G Job description
Grade G Person specification