School Governor - Ridgeway Primary School
Vacancy – School Governor
School - Ridgeway Primary School
Contract Type: Fixed Term (4 years)
Working Hours: Various
Salary: This is a voluntary unpaid appointment
Closing Date: 31 December 2020
Required as soon as possible
The Governors of Ridgeway Primary School are looking to recruit new members to the support the work of the school’s Governing Board.
Being a school governor is a challenging but hugely rewarding role. It will give you the chance to make a real difference to young people, give something back to your local community and use and develop your skills in a board-level environment.
You will also be joining the largest volunteer force in the country: there are over a quarter of a million volunteers governing state funded schools in England.
Schools need governing boards that have a balance and diversity of knowledge, skills and experience including: education, finance, human resources, legal, marketing and public relations, property and estates management, and organisational change, to enable it to be effective.
We would welcome governors with any of the above skills, but would be particularly interested in a governor with a financial background to help oversee the financial effectiveness of the school.
The Governing Board has three key roles:
- To set the strategic direction of the school;
- To hold the Headteacher to account for the educational performance of pupils;
- To oversee the financial effectiveness of the school, making sure the money is well spent
Anyone aged over 18 years can be a governor and you do not need to always be a parent of the school. There is plenty of training available to help you learn about the role of a school governor. There is no requirement for you to have an understanding of the education system, just the necessary skills, character and time to contribute.
As a Governor, you will be able to:
- Use your own experience of education and life beyond school to inform conversations;
- Develop and utilise your skills in a board-level environment;
- Make a valuable contribution to education and your community;
- Support and challenge the school so that it improves for pupils and staff;
- Bring your unique experiences, perspectives and insights in to decision-making in the interests of the school community;
Ridgeway is a successful 2 form entry primary school within the Burntwood Cooperative Learning Trust. We currently have 400 pupils on roll in the main school and a further 150 children accessing Nursery Education and full day care in our Extended Provisions Ridgeway Rainbow Tots, Sunbeams Nursery and Sunny Days Nursery.
The appointment will be subject to an enhanced DBS clearance. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
For more information, or to apply to be a Governor, please contact the Headteacher, Mrs Joanne Jelves firstname.lastname@example.org
For applications please include the following details:
- Full Name
- Full Postal Address
- Email Address
- Your Occupation (or previous occupation)
- A brief paragraph explaining your skills
- Whether you have been a governor previously
- The name of one reference who you have known for a minimum of 2 years, including their name, occupation, email address and the capacity in which you know them.
Closing Date: 31st December 2020
Ridgeway Primary School
Tel: 01543 227170