Assistant Engineer - Drainage and Flood Risk Management
37.0 Hours per Week
Solihull Council is looking for an Assistant Engineer to join its Drainage and Flood Risk Management Team. This is a fantastic opportunity to build on your experience and knowledge by working in a complex and varied workplace.
The successful candidate will have the chance to work with the Drainage and Flood Risk Management Team, providing a quality customer service whilst assisting with flood risk management and drainage consultations, enquiries, investigations and minor schemes to ensure that the Council meets its duties, responsibilities, aims and objectives in accordance with the Flood and Water Management Act 2010, the Land Drainage Act 1991, the Highways Act 1980 and local policies and strategies.
To be successful in the role you will have
- a HNC/HND in Civil Engineering or similar subject or equivalent relevant experience
- experience of working in highway drainage/flood risk management
- experience of dealing with customers and internal and external partners
- experience of undertaking initial reviews of planning applications, technical submissions and specifications for suitability and compliance
- knowledge of drainage systems, equipment and calculations
- experience of delivering minor highway drainage and/or flood risk management projects
- experience and knowledge and understanding of the Highways Act 1980, Land Drainage Act 1991, Flood and Water Management Act 2010 and their relationship to drainage and flood risk management.
- knowledge and understanding of the development management (planning application) process
- knowledge of health and safety, including lone working and site safety
In return, working for Solihull offers you the opportunity to develop your skills and experience. We also offer a range of flexible working options, attractive staff discounts and a career average pension scheme. Initially due to COVID restrictions, this role will be working from home.
To apply, please click on the link below. If you have a specific question or require further information regarding this post, please contact Ed Bradford on 0121 704 6477.
Interview Date: 18th December 2020
Please be advised that due to current social distancing and infection measures, Solihull Council are unable to conduct face to face interviews and alternative methods such as video conferencing may be required. This will be kept under review and shortlisted candidates will be informed and advised accordingly.
Please note we do not accept CVs.
The Fluency Duty is outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers. The Fluency Duty for this role is Required .
This post requires the following Disclosure and Barring check: Not required .
Solihull Council is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees - a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit.
Solihull Council has a responsibility for, and a commitment to, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and requires all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Job Description & Person Specification