BSL / Communication Learning Support Worker
St Matthias is a good school where staff know students well. Leaders work hard to ensure that everyone feels part of the school’s diverse community. Students feel happy and safe at school. This is because leaders have created an environment where students are well supported and cared for. Leaders expect students to try hard in school. They do not tolerate disruption in lessons or at social times. In lessons students are polite and respectful of their teachers. Everyone gets access to a good-quality curriculum.
(Extracts from Ofsted Report published 10th January 2020)
We are seeking to further expand the SEND learning support team and wish to appoint an enthusiastic BSL / Communication Learning Support Worker to work in our Deaf Resource Base.
You will need initiative and be able to work collaboratively to provide a caring and stimulating environment for our children. You must have good interpersonal skills, ICT skills and enjoy working with children. We offer a friendly supportive working environment with a commitment to the continued professional development of staff.
Duties will include (but are not limited to): supporting students, as groups or individuals; supporting teachers; supporting the school and curriculum, as required.
- Work with individuals or small groups of students, who are deaf or have a hearing impairment, within the classroom under the direct supervision of teaching staff
- Work with students with special educational needs and/or with students for whom English is not their first language
- To be aware of student problems, achievements, progress and report to the teacher as agreed
- Monitor student responses to learning activities and record achievement/progress as directed
- Provide regular feedback to class teachers on student achievement, progress and problems
- Provide feedback to students in relation to progress and achievement under the guidance of the teacher
- Support learning by arranging/providing resources for lessons/activities under the direction of the line manager
- Reading and scribing for students for whom this is their normal way of working
- Sharing good practice regarding what works when supporting and individual or group
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings as required
- Assisting with the supervision of students out of lesson times at various times of the school day, including before and after school, according to contractual hours
- Accompany staff and supervise students on visits and trips as required
- The post holder is required to be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, equal opportunities, health & safety, security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to the appropriate person.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience working and supporting in an educational setting
- British Sign Language at Level 2 or above
- Successfully planned and delivered interventions and booster groups
- Maths and English GCSE level A – C or equivalent
- A positive and supportive influence on the teacher and children you support
- The ability to recognise the child's needs & adapt the learning accordingly to ensure children thrive
- Committed to the learning and development of children within your care.
Salary Range: £20,903 - £21,748 (pro rata) actual salary £18,240 - £18,977
Starting Date: ASAP
This post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check and is covered by Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent and spoken English is an essential requirement for this role. References must be received before an offer of employment is given.
Closing Date: Thursday 22nd April 2021
To apply go to WMJobs - https://www.wmjobs.co.uk/
For further information please call the School on 01902 556400 or email