The Grounds and Estate Maintenance team, based at Taylors Lane, Oldbury provides a broad range of horticultural services to locations across the Borough. Tasks include grass cutting, weed management, bed and shrub maintenance, as well as sports field preparation and maintenance.
We are seeking to recruit 1 x permanent ‘Waterbody Technician’. This is a new role within the organisation.
The postholder will mainly be required to work on, in and near water to undertake various tasks to maintain inland waterbodies including vegetation management, removal of waste/debris, weed control and wildlife management, including the removal of animal/waterfowl/fish carcases where required, and assisting with the response to spillage and flooding. The postholder must be prepared and able to work adjacent to water, enter waterbodies using appropriate equipment, and work using a boat. The postholder will also provide support for other Grounds and Estate Maintenance teams as required.
- have the ability to read and write, and accurately record and report information.
- have the ability to undertake arithmetic calculations, take and record accurate measurements, and interpret numerical information.
- have the experience of working on, in or near water
- have experience of working in a horticultural environment.
- have the knowledge of risks and procedures when working on, in or near water.
- have the knowledge of vegetation management and weed control on, in or near water.
- have a good understanding of Health and Safety including COSHH, Risk Assessments, Working at Height, and Safe Methods of Work.
The Post holder must successfully achieve the following qualifications/training within 3 months of appointment if not already held:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides (formerly PA1)
- City & Guilds Level 2 Award in the Safe Application of Pesticides using Pedestrian Hand Held Equipment (formerly PA6) and on or near water (AW)
- ROSPA Safety at Inland Water Sites
The post holder will also be required to drive a manual 3.5 tonne vehicle (the ability to tow a trailer would be advantageous)
Interested? If you meet our requirements, we want to hear from you.
Interviews will only be offered to candidates who can clearly demonstrate through their application form, that they meet the requirements of the Person Specification.
Interviews: Scheduled for Friday 5th February 2021 at Taylors Lane Depot – face to face with Social Distancing measures in place.
ALL Applications via WM Jobs.
Our Values; Trust, Unity and Progress make us unique, they define how we do things and are reflected in the way we behave. They are important to us, guiding and shaping our organisational culture. Our values are key to us achieving Sandwell’s Vision 2030 and also guide us when we recruit.
37 hours per week
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, you are strongly advised to complete and return your application as soon as possible. When completing your application please refer to the supporting documents attached.
If you have a disability and require assistance in making an application, or have experienced a problem whilst applying for a position, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0121 569 3300 or via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.orgSupporting documents
Information for Applicants