Malvern Hills District Council is a small, progressive local authority, situated in one of the country's most attractive areas, offering excellent opportunities to grow and develop along with competitive benefits.
We are continually looking for ways to improve and develop our services, and we currently have a number of shared service arrangements with other district councils in the Worcestershire area. The legal services team provides legal advice and support across all council functions for both Malvern Hills District Council and Wychavon District Council in Pershore.
£30,451 to £33,782 or £33,782 to £37,890
Full time 37 Hours per week (part time hours would be considered)
We have a vacancy within the shared legal services team and we are looking for an individual who can demonstrate that they are keen and highly motivated, with excellent initiative and a flexible approach. You must have good energy, and enthusiasm with a real desire to join our small but busy in-house legal shared service team and deal with a wide range of work.
The post will focus on assisting the Legal Services Manager and other senior members of the team in undertaking all legal work for both Malvern Hills District Council and Wychavon District Council but with particular emphasis on the following areas:- Property and Conveyancing, Town and Country Planning and Local Government Law and Practice
The appointment will be made within the salary range depending upon qualifications and experience. Please see the job description and person specification for further details.
- Degree level qualification (ideally in law)
- Qualified Legal Executive or Solicitor
- Eligible for current practising certificate for Solicitor
- Fully mobile with access to transport
- Flexible and adaptable approach with commitment to improving and developing the in-house legal service
Experience in Town & Country Planning is essential together with two of the following areas of legal practice: (see Person Specification for full details)
- Local Government Law, Administration and Procedure
- Property work including conveyancing
In addition, the successful candidate will have the following skills
- Good communication skills
- Ability to express complex issues clearly, both verbally and in writing
- Good team player
- Sound judgement and good initiative
- Demonstrable negotiating skills
- Ability to think beyond the pure legal 'text' and find practical solutions to problems
- Good ICT skills
If you would like an informal discussion about this opportunity, please contact Heather Peachey, head of Legal Services on 01684 862348.
Closing date: Sunday 31 January 2021
Interviews: Tuesday 16 February 2021Supporting documents
Job Description and Person Specification