Assistant Engineer – Traffic Management
Hours: 37.0 Hours per Week
We are offering an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Engineer to join our Highways Management Team and be a part of Solihull’s future success. With its regionally and nationally significant economic assets and transport infrastructure, attractive environment, aspirational housing and skilled workforce, Solihull has been rated as one of the best places to live in the country. Solihull’s success stimulates further demand for growth and it is critical for Solihull’s future success that this growth takes place in a way that is right for Solihull and for all its citizens – what we call “Managed Growth.”
Ensuring that our network of roads, cycle paths and footways in the borough are accessible and operating efficiently and effectively to meet current and future demand is critical to this.
As part of our Highways Management Team, you will play a key role in assisting our highways management engineers to discharge the duties of the Traffic Management Act, taking an active role in a range of projects and management processes including:
- Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders
- H-Mark and Blue Badge Parking Schemes
- Speed Aware Programme
- Network management and co-ordination schemes
To be successful, you will need:
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) including Maths and English and experience of working on civil engineering related projects; Experience of working in a highways team environment, or equivalent knowledge;
- Experience of effective collaborative partnership working to achieve successful outcomes in a multidisciplinary environment;
- The ability to appropriately interpret and apply policy and guidance to deliver a service effectively; and
- Great spoken and written communication skills.
We are currently looking to recruit to Band C or D. Appointment to either band will be dependent upon demonstrably meeting the relevant criteria at shortlisting and interview. Please see the person specification for full details.
In return, working for Solihull Council offers you the opportunity to develop your skills and experience and for continual professional development, as we support you to acquire further relevant qualifications whilst working in a friendly environment. We also offer:
- Flexible working, including flexi leave up to 24 days per year and agile working arrangements
- Generous annual leave entitlements with opportunity to buy up to 10 days additional leave per year
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme – a 24 hour independent, free and confidential advice and support service
- Family and carer friendly policies
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Employee benefits including subsidised travel passes, Cycle 2 Work Scheme and a staff discount card.
Please contact David Keaney (Traffic Manager) for an informal discussion on 0121 704 6429.
Interviews will be held w/c 8th February and will take place using a secure video conferencing platform.
Please note we do not accept CVs.
Solihull Council is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees - a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit.
Solihull Council has a responsibility for, and a commitment to, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and requires all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.Supporting documents
JDPS Assistant Engineer (Highways Management) SOL3660 (11.1.21).docx