Cabinet Support Officer
An exciting opportunity has arisen to work in Birmingham City Council’s Cabinet Office as a Cabinet Support Officer.
Birmingham City Council is the largest local authority in the country serving a population of approximately 1.2 million people in the country’s second largest city. Despite the immediate challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic, this is an exciting time to be joining the Council with the Commonwealth Games arriving in less than 20 months’ time together with other developments such as the arrival of HS2, which will create new opportunities for growth and investment within the City.
Reporting directly to the Head of the Leader’s Office you will be responsible for delivering first class support to the members of the Council’s Cabinet on a range of issues and topics.
Responsibilities will include: -
- Research and preparation of reports and briefing papers on a wide range of issues as required, including analysing and summarising key points from detailed documents in support of the Cabinet Members’ work;
- Working closely with colleagues within the Council’s Corporate Policy Team you will support the development of innovative new policy;
- Drafting presentations, replies to correspondence, briefing notes, answers to Council questions and preparing for appearances at scrutiny committees;
- Liaising with senior Officers and Members of the Council to ensure effective coordination on major issues and those affecting the Cabinet Members’ responsibilities;
- Developing and maintaining good working relationships with key external stakeholders within regional and central government departments, local and regional politicians, MP’s, and, when appropriate, liaise with them on behalf of the Cabinet Member.
Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) are essential and the development and maintenance of effective working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders is vital to the role.
Your background and previous experience will provide you with a detailed understanding of how the Council/public services operate, knowledge of the challenges that the organisation is facing and its priorities for the future.
For any informal enquires please contact Rishi Shori, Head of Leader’s Office on 07704538647or via email@example.com
Interviews for this post will take place virtually via video conferencing. Shortlisted candidates will be provided with further information.
We welcome applications from people with caring responsibilities and flexible working options will be considered.
Right to work in the UK documentation will be fully checked for all applicants. All non-UK applicants (excluding Ireland) may require a Certificate of Sponsorship from Birmingham City Council and must have an approved visa from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) before any employment offer can be confirmed. Unless they are an EEA or Swiss citizen or their family members, already living in the UK by 31 December 2020, then they will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) instead.Supporting documents
Job Description & Person Specification