Assistant Engineer - Highways Infrastructure
4 days left
£20,092 - £30,451 p.a. Incremental progression is dependent on performance.
37.0 Hours per Week
Solihull is growing and we have a number of really exciting projects to help achieve that growth.
We are looking for an experienced Assistant Engineer to help us deliver of a variety of fascinating highway major construction related projects across the borough, for Urban Growth Company, UK Central Developers, HS2, Transport for West Midlands and Highways England.
Working closely with our team of Engineers, as an Assistant Engineer you will work within the Major Projects and Programmes in our Highways Infrastructure Team to deliver Technical support, site supervision and undertake multiple projects in co-operation with the team and other disciplines within the council.
Working with our contractors and other partners, you will also have responsibility for manage a range of projects, from the initial project brief through to completion, drawing on your sound creativity and problem solving skills to ensure that the schemes meet project specifications, related standards and current legislation.
To be successful, you will need:
- 5 GSCE’s (or equivalent) including Maths and English and a BTEC qualification (or equivalent) in a construction based subject
- Experience of working on construction related projects and managing multiple highways related engineering projects, from inception to completion, liaising with developers, third parties and stakeholders
- Experience of working with minimal supervision, forward planning and prioritising work to meet deadlines and cope with conflicting demands within a multidisciplinary team
- Experience of computer aided design and the ability to use a variety of ICT packages.
This is a career graded post and appointment at Band D is dependent upon demonstrably meeting the relevant criteria at shortlisting and interview. Please see the person specification for full details.
In return, working for Solihull offers you the opportunity to develop your skills and experience in a friendly working environment.
We also offer:
- Flexible working, including flexi leave up to 24 days per year and agile working arrangements
- Generous annual leave entitlements with opportunity to buy up to 10 days additional leave per year
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme – a 24 hour independent, free and confidential advice and support service
- Family and carer friendly policies
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Employee benefits including subsidised travel passes, Cycle 2 Work Scheme and a staff discount card.
To apply, please click on the link below.
If you have a specific question or require further information regarding this post, please contact Paresh Shingadia (Major Projects and Programmes Lead) on 0121 704 8051.
Interview Date: w/c 15th March 2021. Interviews will be held via a secure video conferencing tool.
Please note we do not accept CVs.
The Fluency Duty is outlined in the Code of Practice on the English language requirements for public sector workers. The Fluency Duty for this role is not required.
This post requires the following Disclosure and Barring check: not required .
Solihull Council is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees - a place where we can all be ourselves and succeed on merit.
Solihull Council has a responsibility for, and a commitment to, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults at risk and requires all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Job Description & Person Specification