Equality & Diversity Assistant
The Insight Team's role is to question, influence and provide understanding to make life better in Coventry.
The Insight Team collects, analyses, interprets and publishes a wide range of insights about the city, and engages with residents, communities and partners to champion a culture of evidence-based decision-making across Coventry.
Activities undertaken by the Insight team include:
- Business intelligence
- Customer and location intelligence
- Engagement and consultation support
- Evaluative research
- Performance management
- Partnership working
- Providing advice and guidance on equalities and diversity issues and ensuring the Council discharges its Public Sector Equality Duty
Areas of work supported by the Insight team include:
- Children's services
- Compliments, comments and complaints
- Customer services
- Geographical information systems
- Growth and prosperity
- Housing and homelessness
- Local land and property gazetteer
- Population health management
- Social care
Coventry City Council is the 9th biggest city in England with a highly diverse demographic profile. We are committed to:
- Our continuing duty as a public authority to have due regard to the need to eliminate discrimination, harassment, and any other conduct prohibited under the Equality Act 2010
- Recognising and celebrating diversity, and ensuring equality of opportunity both as a provider and commissioner of services and as a large employer
- Developing a culture that embeds the effective management of equality, diversity and inclusion in our day-to-day practices, policies, procedures, and through our external relationships
We are looking for an Assistant to support the Strategic Lead for Equality & Diversity to help deliver the Council’s commitments on equality, diversity and inclusion. This is a new position which reflects the Council’s plans to accelerate its growth in this important area.
Some key areas of work will include supporting the Strategic Lead (Equality & Diversity) to:
- Provide guidance, information and advice on equality, diversity and inclusion
- Manage performance of the Council’s equality objectives
- Review equality impact assessments and provide feedback
- Produce reports and briefings on key equality projects
You’ll have excellent interpersonal skills and experience of working collaboratively with colleagues to convey a shared focus on outcomes and success.
You’ll have a track record of effectively using information to understand the impact on local people and presenting analysis on this.
You’ll be highly organised, prioritising work, managing time and working under pressure to deliver to deadlines.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement; please include the following information in your statement:
- Knowledge and understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion and its importance in the public sector
- Experience of supporting projects and processes - including analysing and presenting information in a range of formats to different audiences
- Ability and experience of building effective working relations with colleagues at different levels to ensure that key outcomes are met
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'
All attachments for the job can be found here
Interview date(s): w/c 29th March 2021Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled Coventry CC Application process.