Family Group Conference Manager
Coventry Children’s Services are embarking on an exciting journey to deliver support to families and children differently. Coventry have secured a £4m grant from the Government’s Strengthening Families, Protecting Children (SFPC) programme which will allow a focus on working with families through building better relationships with families and children.
What Is The Family Valued Programme?
Family Valued Strengthening Families is a Leeds City Council system change programme designed to spread restorative practice across children’s services. A key element is the focus on Strengthening Families through Relationship Based Practice. There is a desire to empower and enable families to find solutions, to build their own networks and for families to make changes, build resilience and most of all to remain together. The programme demonstrates through building of relationships with professionals who support and guide through this process, families can and do achieve this.
Family Valued Strengthening Families has a significant focus on Family Group Conferencing (FGC). FGC team will be expanded to ensure families at the earliest opportunity are able to consider family support and family plans to prevent the need for an escalation in Children’s Services. The Leeds Family Valued Strengthen Families approach reflects the One Coventry values, where children are at the centre of practice.
Why Coventry Children’s Services?
Coventry is passionate about creating something special, where families are valued, where risks are managed with the family, and where families are empowered and enabled to do it differently. We believe that families are the experts into their own lives, and we want to embrace this and create change through this; by taking the lead in their plans, in their support package and in decision making. Leaving children services having to only intervene where there are no other options.
Coventry Children’s Services is on a journey to do better and is committed to achieving this. Working with Leeds Local Authority will enhance the pace of change and further achieve the best possible outcomes for children, young people and families in the city. We want to pride ourselves on building relationships with families and partners and hold respectful, non-discriminatory, unbiased and non-judgemental practice at the centre of all we do.
Children’s services have acquired some excellent feedback and compliments from families about the services they receive, but we know we can do even better! Building a service based on relationship and restorative based practice in line with our Signs of Safety methodology and the family valued model enables children services to only intervene when it has to, enabling the opportunity for the family to have more control.What is the job role?
We are an established, effective, Family Group Conference (FGC) Service in Coventry, accredited by the Family Rights Group for our standards of practice with children and families.
We are seeking Team Managers who will have responsibility for managing the Family Group Conference teams within the service and who are as excited as us about the opportunity ahead to strengthen family involvement and relational ways of workings, to safely achieve best outcomes for children in Coventry.
As a Family Group Conference Team Manager, you will support and contribute to the progression of the service and ensure the robust integration of FGC in the preventative, early intervention and family help and protection strategic developments across Children’s Services and partners.
You will ensure that the service operates within a framework of equality of opportunity for families from all backgrounds and provides an outcome focused approach, where children and families are firmly at the centre and enabled to actively participate in key decisions and plans to support best life chances
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).Who are we looking for?
To be successful in this role the following skills, knowledge and experience are key:
- Dip in SW, CQSW or a Social Work England validated equivalent from another country – Registered with SWE.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of principles and processes of Family Group Conferences.
- Significant work experience with children and families within statutory or voluntary sectors; managing and/or delivering Family Group Conferences.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of relational practice with families including solution focussed and strength-based practice strategies
- Knowledge of the impact of poverty, oppression and discrimination on families and an understanding of implementing equality and diversity.
- Experience of managing, motivating and empowering staff, building effective teams and achieving improvement; experience of managing a team working with children and families and providing supervision.
- Ability to provide clear leadership and direction.
- Experience of working successfully to solve complex issues and the development of strategic direction. Demonstrable experience of partnership working, including the ability to influence and, where required, lead projects and initiatives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively at all levels and with a range of audiences.
- Sound knowledge of current legislation, policy, guidance and research informing services to children and families.
- Commitment to the empowerment of children and families and the ability to use families strengths and skills to resolve challenges in their lives.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks