Hours per week: 29 to 32.5, erm time only
Contract Type: Permanent
Colebourne Primary School
Job Start Date: 1 September 2021
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone: 0121 675 8500
We are looking to appoint a Learning Mentor to join our expanding pastoral team.
The successful candidate will work closely with teachers and other support staff to support children with varying social and emotional needs. This will most likely be in Key Stage 2.
We are a happy, successful, and hence oversubscribed school. We are proud to provide a caring environment, which offers challenge, support and security for children and staff, while delivering high quality learning opportunities and outcomes for children. We have a strong reputation for our inclusive practice and high-quality pastoral and SEND provision.
Ofsted in 2019 reconfirmed us as a GOOD school. Their comments included:
“…the whole school community is engaged and motivated to do the best by the pupils you serve; pupils are excited about their learning and want to come to school regularly; Pupils spoke about the school with genuine warmth and enthusiasm;”
The role is primarily class-based in the mornings, working with children to enable them to successfully access learning and providing them with the necessary pastoral and learning support to help them succeed.
The afternoons will be a mix of class-based support and 1:1 or small group sessions, supporting the social and emotional needs of the children. There will also be time for planning and meeting with the other mentors and wider pastoral team.
The core role involves:
• Supporting learning in class as needed
• Supporting the pastoral needs of pupils
• Supporting pupils at break and lunchtimes
• Leading 1 to 1 and small group activities aimed at improving social interaction and emotional well-being
• Working alongside our Pastoral Team which includes a senior learning mentor, other learning mentors, a family support worker and an Assistant Headteacher (Inclusion and Safeguarding)
• Liaising with parents and outside agencies as necessary
We are looking for a learning mentor who:
• Has experience of working with children who need additional support (e.g. Learning Mentor, Therapist, Family Support Worker, Teacher, Social Worker).
• Has a good knowledge of the social and emotional needs of pupils.
• Can see beyond the behaviour that may be presented.
• Can build positive relationships with pupils and their families.
• Can work independently and use their own initiative.
• Is committed to engaging and inspiring our pupils and can make a real difference to their learning and well-being.
• Can adapt quickly and show strong commitment to meeting children’s individual needs.
We can offer you:
• A commitment to support you in developing new skills through a wide range of professional development opportunities and experiences.
• The opportunity to make a huge contribution to the education and lives of children who respond very positively to high quality teaching and support.
• A friendly and inclusive working environment.
This post is covered by Part 7 of the Immigration Act (2016) and therefore the ability to speak fluent and spoken English is an essential requirement for this role.
If you feel you possess these qualities, are passionate about working alongside pupils with SEMH needs and would like to shape their futures, then we would like to hear from you.
The successful candidate will be expected to take up the appointment at the beginning of the Autumn Term 2021 or possible sooner.
Closing Date: 4 May 2021, 12 noon
Application packs are available on the school website vacancy section.
We strongly encourage all candidates to visit the school if they can and this will be done in a Covid secure way. Please contact the school if you have any questions or to arrange a visit.
Please complete the school application form and self-disclosure form is completed in full.
Please visit our website: www.colebourne.bham.sch.uk and read the newsletters to get a flavour of the opportunities we provide for the children and families.
Application documents should be sent to: email@example.com or to the school postal address.
This school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to necessary pre-employment checks, including: an enhanced DBS; Childcare Disqualification (where applicable); qualifications (where applicable); medical fitness; identity and right to work. All applicants will be required to provide two suitable references.
BCC is a Living Wage employer