Passenger Transport Driver
Special Needs Transport (SNT) Coventry is responsible for delivering transport services to approximately 700 passengers daily amounting to approximately 280,000 trips each year.
As a result our customers are able to access and take part in the following wide range of services and activities:
- Social care transport for adults with learning difficulties and older people to day care and/or learning opportunities
- Education and learning, home to school transport for children and young people with special educational needs and/or physical and/or sensory impairments
- Transport to school, contact or medical appointments for children who are looked after by the authority
- Health related services including the provision of clean linen to residential homes and people cared for in their own homes; and
- Employment related services
SNT employs approximately 180 people equating to 130 full time equivalent roles, operates a fleet of over 70 passenger carrying vehicles, and has a trading turnover of over £5 million per annum, the majority of which is used to commission transport from taxis and external transport providers.
The positions being recruited to are on a split shift basis and there will be a need for successful candidates to work in the morning and afternoon with a break in between.What is the job role?
The job involves providing a high level of service to the citizens of Coventry who require transportation to and from schools, day care centres for older people, colleges and centres for citizens with learning difficulties. This can involve handling large wheelchairs and loading them on and off the vehicle securing the wheelchair on the vehicle and dealing with any other situation that might arise on the vehicle.
Continuity is a vital part of the service we provide and we endeavour to keep the same driver and escort on the vehicle as much as is reasonable practicable. In summary the role involves the following tasks:
- Undertake all driving duties in allocated vehicles as instructed by a Supervisor.
- Pick up clients and transport them to their point of destination using the vehicle in a safe manner at all times.
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent clients from causing harm to themselves and/or others.
- Carry out daily vehicle checks before start of journey and report all defects to Workshops for action.
- Complete all paperwork as requested.
This post is exempted under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and as such appointment to this post will be conditional upon the receipt of a satisfactory response to a check of police records via Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).Who are we looking for?
Professionalism and a good work ethic are an essential part of our service as this projects a good image to the citizens of Coventry out on our roads. We expect our drivers to:
- Respect all clients and treat them with sensitivity at all times.
- Be flexible in working contracted hours over a standard working day and over a 5-day working week on a rota basis as and when required to meet the needs of the service.
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks