Environmental Health Officer
Planning Policy and Environment is a service area within Coventry City Council which supports the growth of the city.
The vision and commitment of the Planning Policy and Environment team ensures there is a robust platform to guide the delivery of sustainable development making provision for local people through the delivery of housing, jobs, retail and community uses whilst creating high quality urban and natural environments.
The service area sits within a larger team alongside Development Management, Building Control and Regulatory Services and encompasses a number of individual but related specialisms all focussed on delivering a city for those wishing to live and work here. Those specialisms include Planning, Ecology, Trees and Landscape, Urban Design, Conservation, Archaeology and Environmental Protection.What is the job role?
We are seeking to recruit an Environmental Health Officer to assist in the delivery of City of Culture 2021, joining the Environmental Protection service; a busy multi-disciplinary team which deals with a variety of environmental issues throughout the city. This is a 18 month fixed term contract
You will be expected to:
- Attend event’s meetings and liaise with event organisers providing expert advice on noise control
- Undertake noise monitoring when and where required
- Process and comment on premises licence and temporary event notice applications
- Deal with resident’s concerns or noise complaints in a professional and efficient manner
- Support the wider function of the team’s work by responding to planning consultations, undertake permit inspections and respond to EIR requests as required
For further information about the role please see the Job Description and Person Specification.Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an excellent communicator with the appropriate technical knowledge, and preferably some demonstrable enforcement experience of a statutory or environmental nature, along with experience of noise management at events.
You must be able to work using your own initiative, as well as working as part of a larger team to demonstrate a One Coventry ethos and a supportive working environment. If this is you then come and join us, be part of the team.
A degree or diploma in environmental health is required for this post as is either the Postgraduate Diploma in Acoustics and |Noise Control or the IOA Certificate of Competence in Environmental Noise Measurement.
When applying for this role you will be asked to write a personal statement, when writing your personal statement please include the following:
1. Provide examples of noise monitoring and dealing with noise-related complaints
2. Provide examples of where you have had to liaise and engage with a range of different stakeholders
3. Provide examples of your knowledge of the relevant legislation and guidance, and how you have applied them in practical settings
For full details on the application process please read the attached document on our jobs page labelled 'Coventry City Council Application Process'Introduction to Coventry City Council
Coventry is a lively, multicultural city, which embraces old and new. Around the modern city centre there are traces of history everywhere – in the old city walls, the timber-framed buildings and the reconstructed medieval Spon Street. But Coventry has always had an eye on the future, and is now firmly focused on regenerating and re-inventing itself to meet the challenges of the 21st Century. With major developments and new projects taking place right across the city, Coventry City Council is the place to be!
There's a huge buzz about the city – Coventry ranks as the 8th best city to live, work and do business in the UK, and is the UK City of Culture 2021 ! We believe this will help put Coventry on the map for all the right reasons. You can feel the sense of local pride throughout the city as we build towards this momentous year. It also offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to those joining us to play their part in it.
We genuinely believe that Coventry City Council is a special place. You will be joining Coventry City Council during an exciting time to become part of a team that contribute to achieving our visions for the city. We have made our council a place where we look after our people, making sure you're happy in your work and given everything you need to succeed. We've created friendly, welcoming workplaces where everyone is working towards the same cause, providing the best possible services for the city of Coventry.
As a council with improvement at its heart, we’re committed to making life better for the people who live and work in Coventry. We’re equally concerned with the quality of life enjoyed by our people, so by joining us, you won’t just be helping the community, you’ll be helping yourself too.
Not only do you get to work alongside great people that are helping to improve services for our community we offer great benefits too! For your valued contribution we will provide a fantastic benefits package including;
- Flexible working arrangements
- Generous annual leave allowance starting at 27 days and rising to 32 days
- Pay progression through multiple increments
- Outstanding local government pension scheme
- Learning & Development with access to certified courses.
- Access to an award winning Occupational Health Team
- Vibrant employee networks
For full details on the application process please read the attached document labelled Coventry CC Application process.