Assistant Project Manager
Please note: This is a fixed term contract until 31 August 2022. We will also consider offering this post as a secondment opportunity for WMCA employees, please make your manager aware at application stage.
Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) plans, develops and manages an integrated transport system for the West Midlands that is reliable, affordable and accessible for all. It is the transport arm of the West Midlands Combined Authority.
A standard setter in the industry, our achievements are regularly recognised nationally, most importantly as the winner of ‘City Region Authority of the Year’ in 2016, 2017 and 2019 at the National Transport Awards.
Whether it’s developing and delivering new infrastructure, collaborating on future mobility projects, operating the West Midlands Metro or helping customers to keep moving, we need creative and innovative talent to join our already excellent team and help us make a real difference to residents, businesses and visitors travelling in and around the West Midlands.
As Assistant Project Manager you will join our team responsible for creating a rapid transit bus priority corridor along the A34 and A45 Sprint route between Walsall, Birmingham and Solihull. First services will be operational by May 2022 and will call at key destinations including the NEC, Jaguar Land Rover Solihull and Alexander Stadium.
You will be responsible for supporting aspects of the development and delivery of projects within the Sprint Bus Rapid Transit programme, under the guidance of the designated Scheme Delivery Managers / NEC Project Manager. More specifically, you will:
- Assist with the development and delivery of projects from inception to completion, to time, budget, quality and safety standards in accordance with best practice and WMCA’s processes and procedures
- Prepare and submit appropriate documentation to ensure the progression of schemes through the assurance process
- Provide Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Geographic Information Support (GIS), providing scheme plans, general arrangements and other project-based drawings to project managers in the delivery of the Sprint programme
- Review scheme plans, general arrangements and other project-based drawings using appropriate computer software to amend/update as required
- Support with collection and analysis of data for project development and delivery
- Assist with the design and delivery of Sprint schemes and initiatives from initial feasibility design stage to completion, in accordance with the scheme sponsor’s requirements and WMCA's processes and procedures
- Provide support to Scheme Delivery Managers / NEC Project Manager in the development and delivery of Sprint work streams as required
- Actively support design and delivery teams involved in development and construction of schemes, including input into progress / dashboard reporting and financial / contract management
Ideally, you will have already gained some experience in project management supported by an HND/HNC in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent.
This role will be varied and fast paced at times and we are looking for a positive, proactive and solution orientated individual to join the team. Creative and curious, you’ll be open to new possibilities and enjoy exploring new ideas and ways of working. As a self-starter who can use their initiative you will lead on tasks and projects from the outset.
Whilst we continue to work remotely, it is important that you are able to build effective working relations with a dispersed team using a range of collaboration and communication tools (e.g. email, phone, Microsoft Teams and SharePoint).
Even if you don’t think you match 100% of the criteria, we would still like to hear from you as we recruit on potential as well as experience, so if you think you have what it takes, let’s start a conversation. We are committed to building a team of people with varied backgrounds and experiences as we recognise that this will only benefit us as an employer, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. The following groups are currently under-represented: young people, Black, Asian and ethnic minority groups and women at senior levels.
Furthermore, wherever possible we will offer flexible working options which assist work-life balance and support service delivery for the customer. We are very happy to discuss a flexible working pattern that suits your needs, so please do not let that be a barrier to applying.
We are committed to equality of opportunity in service provision and employment. Our recruitment policies, procedures and practices enable all applicants to be considered on merit and ability to do the job. We will make reasonable adjustments, in line with the Equality Act, for disabled applicants if these are needed.
West Midlands Combined Authority reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.
Assistant Project Manager (Sprint) Role Profile.docx