ITS Technical Assistant
INTELLIGENT TRANSPORT SYSTEMS (ITS) Technical Assistant
Salary: £20,903 - £23,541 per annum
37 Hours per week – Permanent
The Intelligent Transport Systems team at Staffordshire County Council is looking to recruit a dynamic individual to assist with delivering the range of highways technical services undertaken by the team.
The ITS infrastructure consists of an Urban Traffic Control and associated systems that are used to monitor and control over 800 ITS assets such as Traffic Signals, Variable Message Signs, Car Park Management and other ITS related equipment placed upon the network.
The applicant can have either an:
- ONC or HNC in electrical / electronic engineering or similar engineering discipline;
- BTEC Level 3 qualification in a relevant discipline;
- 2 GCE A level passes in relevant subjects.
The role of the ITS Technical Assistant is to assist with the management, operation, design and development of the range of functions undertaken by the service area. The successful applicant will require a commitment to continuous development and will be actively encouraged to expand their knowledge in this specialised field of highway engineering.
The service area sits within the Counties Highways department and operates in partnership with Amey LG to deliver the majority of highway operations. This allows both local government and private company experience to be gained to enhance career development.
- ONC / HNC or BTEC Level 3 or 2 x GCE A Levels in an appropriate discipline;
- Experience of working or studying within a technical / engineering environment;
- Sound background knowledge in technology and/or engineering principles;
Applicants must have:
- Computing experience and be competent with software packages such as Microsoft Office;
- Technical drawing skills and the ability to use CAD based applications. AutoCAD experience would be a distinct advantage;
- Work effectively within a team or independently as the need arises;
- Communicate effectively using different methods of communication.
For the full list of requirements for this role, please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification.
Staffordshire County Council
Staffordshire Place No.1
This Authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Staffordshire County Council is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer. We encourage applications from all background and communities.
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, we offer a guaranteed interview to anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
To apply for this post click on the ‘Apply’ button below.
By clicking on the apply button you will be redirected to Staffordshire County Councils online application website. Please note, you are only able to view the Job Description and Person Specification on the WM Jobs board NOT via Staffordshire County Council's online application site.
To submit your application you will need to register an account on the website (NB this is a separate login to WM Jobs).
We collect personal information from you when you register with us to make an application. Information we collect includes name, email address and other contact details. We will use this information to communicate with you generally and to assess your application.
By clicking on the Apply button and submitting your application form, you are giving your consent to the processing of your personal data in the ways described Here
If you experience any technical issues accessing or completing the application form please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Monday 24th May 2021
Interview Date: Week commencing 7th June
For more information about the role please contact:
Please be aware, only application forms completed online will be accepted. We will not accept CV’s or Word application forms.
The County Council has adopted a set of values that seeks to achieve the best outcomes for its citizens, communities and employees.
Our People Strategy sets out what we all need to do to make Staffordshire County Council a great place to work, where people are supported to develop, flourish and contribute to our ambitious plans.
Our values are at the heart of the Strategy to ensure that the focus is on what is important to the organisation and the people it serves:
- Ambitious - We are ambitious for our communities and citizens
- Courageous - We recognise our challenges and are prepared to make courageous decisions
- Empowering - We empower and support our people by giving them the opportunity to do their jobs well.
Benefits for working for us….
We recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive working environment where employees can achieve their full potential and achieve a healthy work-life balance.
In addition to your salary, as a member of staff, you will have access to a range of benefits including:
- An excellent local government pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement from 24 up to 33 days (plus 2 extra statutory days and bank holidays) depending on job role and length of service
- The option to buy up to an additional 2 weeks annual leave
- A range of flexible working options, depending on your job role, which includes agile working, flexible retirement
- Family Friendly Policies - maternity, adoption, paternity and parental leave
- Volunteering Scheme
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring
- Access to health and wellbeing support (including Occupational Health, Physiotherapy and Counselling Services)
- Eye care vouchers
- Car lease scheme / cycle & car loan scheme / employee car share scheme
- Bus and rail travel discounts