Lawyer (Level 1) Planning & Highways
Title: Lawyer (Level 1) Planning & Highways
Location: Plough Lane
Salary: 33,782.00 - 37,890.00 (dependant on PQE and achieving core competencies)
Closing Date: 12noon 10/05/2021
Interview Date: TBC
We are looking for a planning and highways lawyer to join a small and dedicated Planning and Highways Team. You will be expected to:
• undertake, with appropriate supervision, a substantial personal caseload of planning and highways work including the provision of legal advice, research and the presentation of legal analysis and information in oral and written form;
• deal with traffic regulation orders (temporary or permanent), public right of way orders and the respective decision reports for the orders prior to sealing/completion;
•draft, negotiate and conclude a caseload of planning and highways agreements and other legal documentation including enforcement notices;
• assist the Lawyer (Level 2) and Senior Lawyer with more complex agreements and other planning and highways matters as necessary;
• advise on all aspects of the assets of community value process and statutory duties under the Localism Act 2011.
• assist the Lawyer (Level 2) and Senior Lawyer to scrutinise and prepare legal advice on reports to the Council, the Executive, the Planning Committee and other committees.
• undertake advocacy on routine matters of a planning, highways or regulatory nature with appropriate supervision and instructing counsel where necessary.
• under the supervision of the Lawyer (Level 2) and Senior Lawyer, manage or assist with judicial reviews and statutory challenges arising out of the exercise of the Council’s planning and highways functions and to advise on and negotiate settlements as appropriate;
• undertake advocacy on matters of a planning or highways nature with appropriate supervision and instructing counsel where necessary;
• To deputise on planning and highways matters for the Lawyer (Level 2) and Senior Lawyer
Expertise in planning and highways law and practice is essential.
You must be practising barrister, solicitor or CILEX. Previous experience of working within a local authority in this specialism is desirable but not essential.
It is an exciting time to join Herefordshire Council’s Legal Service. In the last few months we have agreed a new structure which we are confident will set us on a journey to provide high quality, effective legal advice and support to the Council. We are now recruiting to a number of new permanent posts across our Children, Adult, Education, Planning, Commercial Property and Litigation teams.
We have invested in our new team, developing career opportunities for Lawyers and Legal Officers to grow and progress in their careers with us. You will be ambitious, energetic and share our vision to provide a top quality service and achieve LExcel Accreditation.
We are seeking dynamic and passionate individuals who are motivated by working for an inclusive and diverse organisation that is determined in its ambitions for the people of Herefordshire.
We welcome applications from individuals nationwide, as whilst the main council office is located in Hereford city, staff are now working from home, and this flexible approach to working will continue after the current pandemic.
If you enjoy working collaboratively, are skilled in partnership working and share our energy, drive and ambition, we want to hear from you.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, including:
• Relocation payment
• Flexible working including home working and the possibility of part time.
• Holidays: 25 days per year plus 2 days unpaid at Christmas (pro rata for part time)
• Pension: LGPS pension scheme
• Pick your perks – our benefits include access to a range of retail, leisure, holiday and health benefits. This includes savings, cash back and discounts. We also offer an employee assistance programme that means you will have access to confidential support and advice if you ever need it.
Herefordshire is one of the most beautiful counties in England with some delightful market towns, picturesque villages and a blend of the traditional and modern in the city of Hereford - modern shopping facilities and an ambition for change.
Please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification for more details of this role.
We welcome applicants whatever their personal characteristics or social identity. All requests for flexible working arrangements and reasonable adjustments will be considered.
The following candidates will be interviewed if they meet the essential criteria for the post they are applying for:
• Those who indicate that they have a disability. This is part of our commitment to the “Disability Confident” scheme;
• Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are an Armed Forces Veteran or Reservist. This is part of our pledge to support the Armed Forces Covenant; and
• Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are a Herefordshire care leaver. This is part of our commitment to supporting young people leaving our care.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you would like to obtain details regarding feedback on your application please contact Hoople Resourcing at: email@example.com