Lawyer (Level 2) Planning and Highways
Title: (Level 2) Planning and Highways
Location: Plough Lane
Salary: £43,857 - £48,117
Closing Date: 12noon 10/05/2021
Interview Date: TBC
We are looking for an experienced planning and highways lawyer to join a small and dedicated Planning and Highways Team and to work with the Lawyer (Level 1) and Senior Lawyer in handling more complex planning, highways and environmental protection transactions and issues.
Expertise in planning and highways law and practice is essential.
Minimum three years PQE as a practising barrister, solicitor or CILEX as well as three years previous experience of working within a local authority in this specialism are essential.
The ability to work autonomously and reliably on more complex or difficult projects and policies in the specialist areas of planning and highways is essential, as is having an in-depth understanding of the legal issues and relevant law specific to the job which will include but not be limited to:
• Planning - Development Management, Planning obligations, Enforcement, Conservation and Listed Buildings, Strategic Plans (including Neighbourhood Development Plans), Building Control and Ecology;
• Highways - Traffic Regulations, Public Rights of Way, Strategic highways, Drainage, drafting of highway agreements;
together with the ability to:
• negotiate and / or advise the client on all areas of planning and highways law and practice;
• draft documents based on the Council’s standard documents, authoritative precedents and creating bespoke agreements; and
• adopt a problem solving approach to planning and/or highways disputes prior to litigation.
In addition you will be required to:
• assist the Senior Lawyer with major infrastructure development project schemes and attend project meetings as and when necessary.
• have conduct of or assist the Senior Lawyer with judicial reviews and statutory challenges arising out of the exercise of the Council’s planning and highways functions and to advise on and negotiate settlements as appropriate.
• undertake advocacy in the Magistrates or County Court on more complex matters of a planning or highways nature and instructing counsel where necessary.
• deputise for the Senior Lawyer, to attend the Planning Committee and the Licensing Committee and any other formal meetings or panels as required in the field to provide legal advice.
Knowledge and/or experience in environmental law (environmental protection), of compulsory purchase and land acquisition and regeneration would be desirable.
It is an exciting time to join Herefordshire Council’s Legal Service. In the last few months we have agreed a new structure which we are confident will set us on a journey to provide high quality, effective legal advice and support to the Council. We are now recruiting to a number of new permanent posts across our Children, Adult, Education, Planning, Commercial Property and Litigation teams.
We have invested in our new team, developing career opportunities for Lawyers and Legal Officers to grow and progress in their careers with us. You will be ambitious, energetic and share our vision to provide a top quality service and achieve LExcel Accreditation.
We are seeking dynamic and passionate individuals who are motivated by working for an inclusive and diverse organisation that is determined in its ambitions for the people of Herefordshire.
We welcome applications from individuals nationwide, as whilst the main council office is located in Hereford city, staff are now working from home, and this flexible approach to working will continue after the current pandemic.
If you enjoy working collaboratively, are skilled in partnership working and share our energy, drive and ambition, we want to hear from you.
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, including:
• Relocation payment
• Flexible working including home working and the possibility of part time.
• Holidays: 25 days per year plus 2 days unpaid at Christmas (pro rata for part time)
• Pension: LGPS pension scheme
• Pick your perks – our benefits include access to a range of retail, leisure, holiday and health benefits. This includes savings, cash back and discounts. We also offer an employee assistance programme that means you will have access to confidential support and advice if you ever need it.
Herefordshire is one of the most beautiful counties in England with some delightful market towns, picturesque villages and a blend of the traditional and modern in the city of Hereford - modern shopping facilities and an ambition for change.
Please refer to the Job Description and Person Specification for more details of this role.
We welcome applicants whatever their personal characteristics or social identity. All requests for flexible working arrangements and reasonable adjustments will be considered.
The following candidates will be interviewed if they meet the essential criteria for the post they are applying for:
• Those who indicate that they have a disability. This is part of our commitment to the “Disability Confident” scheme;
• Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are an Armed Forces Veteran or Reservist. This is part of our pledge to support the Armed Forces Covenant; and
• Those who indicate in their supporting statement that they are a Herefordshire care leaver. This is part of our commitment to supporting young people leaving our care.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you would like to obtain details regarding feedback on your application please contact Hoople Resourcing at: email@example.com