Family Intervention Worker - Staffordshire Drug & Alcohol
You must empower and support the family in creating a safe environment with a primary focus on reducing the risk to children within families and enabling families to reach their potential to keep each other safe; working within a flexible framework in order to meet the demands of the service outside the usual 9-5 hours. The successful candidate will be expected to fulfil their hours over five days.
With a background of working with families with complex needs involving child safeguarding issues and an understanding of safeguarding practices and procedures, you must have experience of delivering evidence-based interventions for families, such as those informed by Solution Focused Practice, Motivational Interviewing and CBT.
Candidates for this opportunity must hold a relevant NVQ Level 3 qualification in Health & Social care or similar with experience of working within Family Services or Substance Misuse Services. A driving license and access to a vehicle is also necessary as travel is an essential element of the role.
This is a fixed term contract for 2 years.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- To provide respectful but assertive interventions that will be fully integrated, accessible and targeted to families with complex needs that result in positive outcomes
- Deliver safeguarding activity, ensuring engagement is maintained in the interests of children and/or adults with vulnerabilities, make certain issues are compliant with policy and procedures involving relevant external agencies as necessary
- Maintain a caseload and deliver evidence-informed interventions to parents, children and others identified within the Child In Need Plan, in line with service modelling and risk management policy
- Ensure that family assessments, risk assessments, support plans and reviews are carried out ensuring that the child/children in the family are at the centre of those plans
- To provide a range of support to adults and families utilising therapeutic interventions, outreach methods, conducting home visits and working in communities
- To support families to access work like activities including, information advice and guidance, training, qualifications, taster sessions, work experience/trials and volunteering
- To work effectively across Staffordshire including within STARS locality buildings and SSU
- To work closely with Social Workers and other professionals
- Ensure that all adult and children’s safeguarding issues are dealt with in line with Staffordshire’s safeguarding policies and Humankind policies and procedures
- Ensure practice promotes equality and diversity within all areas of work
- To develop and maintain positive and constructive working relationships with local community and voluntary groups, statutory agencies and other relevant stakeholders
- To ensure that children and young people and their families are fully involved in and consulted about the project’s work and to support them in representing their views
- Work in line with Humankind policies, e.g. Information governance, Health and Safety
- Input and manage information using Humankind databases and other MIS as required
- To comply with all monitoring and evaluation systems, collect and monitor information as appropriate and provide reports when required
- Maintain an up to date knowledge of legislation which may affect service users and staff
- To provide a flexible service to families in line with their needs including evening, weekend and bank holiday work
- To ensure professional conduct at all times when representing Humankind within the community, supporting families, attending meetings and any other communication
- To attend both internal and external meetings relating to the project as required
In carrying out the above duties the post holder will:
- Work flexibly within an agreed number of hours of work to maintain the most appropriate level of service provision, including evenings and weekends
- Seek to improve personal performance, contribution, knowledge and skills
- Participate in appraisal, supervision and Learning & Development processes
- Keep up-to-date with policy and guidance relating to service delivery and development services in line with these and legislation
- Ensure the implementation of the all Humankind policies
- Contribute to maintaining safe systems of work and a safe environment
- Undertake other duties appropriate to the grade and spirit of the post
This job description is intended to provide a guide to the general duties and responsibilities of the post. It should not be regarded as a contractual document. It will be reviewed regularly and may be varied at the discretion of Humankind.
Person Specification – Essential criteria:
- Good general level of education and evidence of continuing professional development
- Relevant qualification (NVQ Level 3 in Health & Social care or similar)
- Knowledge of Safeguarding processes and procedures
- Knowledge of issues many families may face e.g. mental health, poverty, substance misuse
- Knowledge of specialist services
- Experience of multi-agency working
- Experience of supporting vulnerable people and utilisation of structured needs / risk assessments
- Ability to communicate well
- Ability to effectively organise / prioritise your time / workload and strong time management skills
- Ability to maintain and update accurate records
- Committed to equality and diversity
- Ability to meet the mobility requirements of the role
Candidates will be recruited within the advertised range, please do not automatically expect initial recruitment to be at the top end, as this will depend on experience and enables progression in role through the Humankind development process.
Internal candidates at risk of redundancy will be prioritised for this vacancy therefore, we retain the right to withdraw the advert before the closing date.
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address you provide on your application form. We will contact shortlisted candidates by email to confirm the arrangements for interview. Please check your email inbox after the closing date for notification as you will not be notified by any other means. Please remember to check your junk folder.
Due to the current restrictions as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, interviews may be via Microsoft Teams.