FUND TRAINEE (1 Year Placement)
GRADE 4 - SALARY £20,092.00 - £21,748.00
3 x 12 Months Fixed Term Contracts starting August 2021
The West Midlands Pension Fund is one of the UK’s largest pension funds providing, from its base in Wolverhampton, local authority pension benefits for employees across the West Midlands. The Fund manages and administers the pension interests of over 320,000 scheme members, over 700 employers and currently has over £17 billion in assets under management.
This is an exciting opportunity which would ideally suit students looking for a placement year. WMPF are keen to offer the opportunity of a one-year placement for students in finance, maths, actuarial studies, management and business studies to develop a broad understanding of the pension fund, finance, actuarial process and management. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is eager to learn, flexible and hardworking. This will give the right candidates an in depth understanding of a broad range of financial, actuarial and management experience as they happen and will complement the academic work you’ve been doing at university. We offer a competitive salary for the year as well as other benefits.
As a fund trainee you will work in a specialist area within the Fund. Key placement areas and responsibilities will include, depending Fund requirements and student’s academic discipline:
Finance & Investments
- To support the maintenance of financial records, reconciliations and financial reporting.
- Assisting with closedown of final accounts and assisting with responding to audit queries in a timely manner.
- To record and input to the financial systems to ensure accurate financial data is captured.
- To assist with the issuance, review, checking, recording and payment of invoices and the coding of expenditure.
Employers Services – Actuarial
- To support the Fund during the actuarial review, working with the Fund’s actuary, employer and the management team to carry out the actuarial review and implement the valuation
- Recording and analysing data for the actuarial submission to deliver accurate information for the review
- Analysing the results of the valuation, assisting with the introduction of the new rates, ensuring accurate records and databases are maintained
- Working with the senior management team and employers to ensure the valuation is agreed within statutory deadlines
- Providing first line ICT support and assistance to users within the Pension Fund.
- Performing initial diagnosis and progressing to resolution by working with colleagues and our IT partners a variety of Systems / ICT related issues and requests.
The ideal candidates will be highly organised with a good understanding of IT systems used for statistical management reports i.e. Microsoft packages.
The Fund is growing and evolving and offers a great working environment, excellent development opportunities, plus a range of benefits that include a generous defined benefit pension scheme. Please get in touch to find out more, this is an exciting time for the Fund and we are looking for the best people to join our team.
For more information or an informal discussion regarding this post please contact Annie Egginton on 01902 551360 or email WMPFrecruitment@wolverhampton.gov.uk
Closing date: 27th May 2021
Interview date: 8th June 2021
Job Description and Person Specification