Newly Qualified Teacher MPS/UPS + SEN 1 - 1 Years Fixed Term
1 Year Fixed term contract
Oak Wood Secondary is a broad-spectrum special school for pupils aged 11-19. We follow a class-based, Primary style teaching model in Key Stage 3, which leads to a core and vocational skills curriculum in Key Stages 4-5. We are looking for a Newly Qualified Teacher to join our happy and supportive team. We have another NQT starting in September and therefore there will be opportunities to work together on a regular basis for support and development. The successful candidate does not have to have experience of working in a special school but must have enthusiasm and passion for supporting pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities. Teachers are placed in classes according to their strengths and areas of interest and this will be decided based on the individual teacher. This post is suitable for a Primary trained teacher but Secondary trained teachers are also welcome to apply and will be considered if they are able to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of the Primary National Curriculum.
Here’s what some of our staff think about working at Oak Wood Secondary:
“It is a joy to come into work at Oak Wood. The staff teams support each other, the pupils make excellent progress and you feel as if you make a real difference to their lives - not just in their education but with their life skills. Our aim is to provide a great education and give them the tools to get a job or to live the best life they can!”
“Every day is a new and exciting challenge at Oak Wood. Our team strives to make opportunities that are inclusive for all. It’s a friendly workplace where you can have a laugh with colleagues and fun with the pupils.”
“I love working at Oak Wood Secondary School and for me, the joy is in watching the pupils blossom, grow in confidence and achieve things they did not think they could achieve.”
“The staff are welcoming throughout, from our cleaners and caretakers right through to SLT and management. There is always a door open with a friendly ear. I have felt this throughout the school. There are opportunities to further my own development and skills. SLT and management are always available to listen and talk should you need it, no matter how busy they are themselves.”
“It is a lovely place to work and our young people always give you a reason to smile every day.”
“I laugh every single day and never get that 'Sunday night work anxiety'. My class colleagues are like my little family.”
We are looking for someone who:
- Has the potential to become an Outstanding classroom practitioner and is dedicated to the learning and development of pupils with SEND.
- Has an optimistic, ‘glass-half-full’, outlook and is able work collaboratively with others.
- Understands that behaviour is a form of communication and can work proactively to provide a nurturing and safe environment for all.
- Is keen to develop their classroom practice in a special school.
We can offer you:
- A school in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, within easy commuting distance of Birmingham, Solihull, Coventry and Leicester.
- A dedicated and welcoming staff team who are deeply committed to broadening the horizons of their young people.
- A supportive and enthusiastic leadership team, who listen, see the best in individuals and are committed to staff wellbeing.
- An ongoing programme of professional development, as well as opportunities to partake in personalised development opportunities.
- The opportunity to work as part of a small but strong Multi Academy Trust.
- Commitment to Oak Wood Schools’ core values of Nurture, Harmony and Communication.
- Weekly dedicated NQT and PPA time alongside our other Newly Qualified Teacher to share practice and support planning.
Additional Information & How to Apply
If you would like an application pack, please email Julie Walters at email@example.com. Visits to the school are strongly encouraged and will be completed in line with the school’s Covid-19 Risk Assessment. If you would like to visit or chat to our Headteacher, Kara Robinson, about the role and the school, please contact Julie Walters on 024 7674 0901 and we will happily to arrange this for you.
Closing date: Thursday 13th May 2021
Central England Academy Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure.