Housing Solutions Officer
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organised and flexible individual to join our busy Housing and Welfare Options team, providing an effective frontline housing advice, guidance and support service and assisting applicants to explore a full range of housing options available to them.
You will have experience of working with vulnerable client groups in a busy customer focussed environment and will have knowledge and experience of housing law and practice in relation to housing allocations and homelessness. The most important qualities you will possess however are; a willingness to learn and develop new knowledge and skills; the flexibility to respond to the changing needs of the service and its customers; and a proactive and motivated attitude.
In return we can offer you a positive working environment, opportunities for training and development, flexible working hours and a minimum of 25 days annual leave.
You will be working in a busy frontline housing service and no two days will be the same. You will work with a variety of customers and other agencies to prevent homelessness and undertake homelessness investigations. You will act as the Council's first point of contact for homelessness and housing advice and will need to be confident in providing professional information and advice face to face, on the telephone and in writing.
- Knowledge of new Homelessness Reduction Act and Code of Guidance
- Knowledge and understanding of choice based lettings
- Knowledge of temporary accommodation duties and arrangements
- Knowledge and understanding of the eligibility of persons from abroad
- Knowledge of different tools which can be used to prevent homelessness
- Knowledge of housing benefit and other welfare benefits
- Experience of investigating homelessness and making decisions in accordance with homelessness legislation
- Experience of carrying out structured interviews with a wide range of clients.
- Experience of working with vulnerable client groups.
- Experience of keeping accurate records.
Skills and experience
- Strong team player
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to work on own initiative without close supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to explain complex information simply
- Ability to make and communicate difficult decisions
- Ability to make decisions on own initiative where necessary
- Excellent organisational, administrative, prioritisation and time management skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a friendly, non-judgemental, approachable, sensitive and customer oriented approach
If you want an informal discussion about the role please contact Emma Jordan, Housing and Welfare Options Team Manager, on 01905 721121 or email@example.com
Closing date: 16th May 2021