Citizen & Consumer Protection Officer-Accommodation
This post is fixed-term until 31 March 2022 due to project funding.
The Citizen and Consumer Protection (Accommodation) Team are looking to recruit a motivated, well-organised individual as an inspecting officer to enforce housing standards in the private residential sector in Sandwell, with suitable qualifications and private sector housing enforcement experience who is able to manage complex workloads and prioritise casework with minimal supervision. The Citizen and Consumer Protection (Accommodation) Team deals with requests for assistance from private tenants and occupiers, provides advice to landlords and is engaged in multi-agency initiatives to improve living conditions across the borough. Sandwell, in the heart of the West Midlands is a progressive and forward-looking authority at the forefront of many innovative approaches to urban regeneration.
You will be:
- Qualified to BTEC HNC/HND level in Building/Surveying or a qualified Environmental Health Officer
- Certified competent in carrying out HHSRS surveying
- Be experiences in private sector housing enforcement, including the preparation of cases, prosecutions with experience of appearing in court being advantageous.
- Have sound knowledge of construction and an awareness of the legal process relevant to this area of work.
- Be able to evidence a good working knowledge and experience in enforcing the Housing Act 2004, using and understanding the Housing Health and Safety Rating System, Housing and Planning Act 2016, The Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006 and the Environmental Protection Act 1990
- Be experienced in multi-agency enforcement work around modern slavery and exploitation relating to HMOs and illegal residential conversions is advantageous.
- Have knowledge and experience of civil penalties from Housing Act disrepair and HMO management regulation breaches.
Our Values; Trust, Unity and Progress make us unique, they define how we do things and are reflected in the way we behave. They are important to us, guiding and shaping our organisational culture. Our values are key to us achieving Sandwell’s Vision 2030 and also guide us when we recruit.
37 hours per week
This advert will close as soon as sufficient applications are received. Therefore, you are strongly advised to complete and return your application as soon as possible. When completing your application please refer to the supporting documents attached.
If you have a disability and require assistance in making an application, or have experienced a problem whilst applying for a position, please contact the Resourcing Team on 0121 569 3300 or via e-mail to: email@example.com